What are the current water conditions off Key Largo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Trip Report
Spirit again beat the odds. ("Welcome to FLL 5 minutes ahead of schedule. Please tell all your friends - we know you'd tell them if we were late." Truer words were never spoken.) Arrived in K.L. around noon on 8/15, fortunately just in time for the best of the bad wx; big waves, surge on the reefs. Bigger beyond. Squall lines, rain, wind and lightning on the high seas; traffic jams on the Overseas Highway as the rats escaped. Reef viz about 15-25'. Horizon Divers was going out. With "students". Couldn't pass that up. Reports in the shop of 3'-5' on the reef. On the trip out water was washing over the "deck." (It's a pontoon type setup for those not familiar with Horizon.) Got buddied with "Kara" ("Cara"?) from the SW FL area, who'd been out of the water for a couple of years. She was fully attentive of the conditions and understandably slightly nervous. We dove. She did fine. We saw all the usual suspects and made it back to the boat intact. Wouldn't mind diving with her again. Other divers seemed to have a higher reboarding priority than me so I stood by until the ladder was clear and climbed back aboard. Kara (Cara?) wisely declined the second dive. While poking around down there on that second go I kept seeing flashes from U/W photographers and wondered who'd bring a camera in such crappy viz. Turned out that God was just showing off with a T-storm above. After 40 minutes there was a frantic banging on the boat ladder signaling the end of the diving day. Seems the wx report had predicted some "bad" wx coming our way. Duh! Next day (8/16) I had ressies with Gary & Brenda (Conch Republic Divers) for the Eagle (AM) and reefs (PM). Crappy surface conditions on the way out but great once submerged. Still surge on the reefs but viz had improved substantially. Went out with Gary again the following AM (8/17), this time to the Duane. Lousy trip out but nice once we got off the boat. Tried to get to Snapper for the second dive but Scuba Do had it locked up. Went to Pickles instead. For the PM trip went out with Ocean Divers. Did French both dives. Viz fair to middlin'. Got buddied with "Paul." He's read Chapter Two. Waves were still a bitch. Mate "Hans" suggested Paul and I take a novice under our collective wings. Kinda scary given the conditions. Paul informed Hans he had only eight logged dives. I told him I had only twelve. He figured it out. The next day (8/18) it was Ocean Divers again for an AM Spiegel dive. Paul was also there. We buddied again. Good dive on the S.G. followed by an acceptable Benwood, although viz on Bennie sucked. Water temps all four days were 86-87 degrees top to bottom. Waves were 3-5 and 4-6. Definitely E-ticket stuff. A splendid time was had by all. Except the pukers. Gary and Brenda did their usual outstanding job. Upon departing the Keys on 8/19 I was relieved to see the water conditions were tempering. Heading back down on 10/27 to give it another chance.

Thnx for the report

The Trip Report
Spirit again beat the odds. ("Welcome to FLL 5 minutes ahead of schedule. Please tell all your friends - we know you'd tell them if we were late." Truer words were never spoken.) Arrived in K.L. around noon on 8/15, fortunately just in time for the best of the bad wx; big waves, surge on the reefs. Bigger beyond. Squall lines, rain, wind and lightning on the high seas; traffic jams on the Overseas Highway as the rats escaped. Reef viz about 15-25'. Horizon Divers was going out. With "students". Couldn't pass that up. Reports in the shop of 3'-5' on the reef. On the trip out water was washing over the "deck." (It's a pontoon type setup for those not familiar with Horizon.) Got buddied with "Kara" ("Cara"?) from the SW FL area, who'd been out of the water for a couple of years. She was fully attentive of the conditions and understandably slightly nervous. We dove. She did fine. We saw all the usual suspects and made it back to the boat intact. Wouldn't mind diving with her again. Other divers seemed to have a higher reboarding priority than me so I stood by until the ladder was clear and climbed back aboard. Kara (Cara?) wisely declined the second dive. While poking around down there on that second go I kept seeing flashes from U/W photographers and wondered who'd bring a camera in such crappy viz. Turned out that God was just showing off with a T-storm above. After 40 minutes there was a frantic banging on the boat ladder signaling the end of the diving day. Seems the wx report had predicted some "bad" wx coming our way. Duh! Next day (8/16) I had ressies with Gary & Brenda (Conch Republic Divers) for the Eagle (AM) and reefs (PM). Crappy surface conditions on the way out but great once submerged. Still surge on the reefs but viz had improved substantially. Went out with Gary again the following AM (8/17), this time to the Duane. Lousy trip out but nice once we got off the boat. Tried to get to Snapper for the second dive but Scuba Do had it locked up. Went to Pickles instead. For the PM trip went out with Ocean Divers. Did French both dives. Viz fair to middlin'. Got buddied with "Paul." He's read Chapter Two. Waves were still a bitch. Mate "Hans" suggested Paul and I take a novice under our collective wings. Kinda scary given the conditions. Paul informed Hans he had only eight logged dives. I told him I had only twelve. He figured it out. The next day (8/18) it was Ocean Divers again for an AM Spiegel dive. Paul was also there. We buddied again. Good dive on the S.G. followed by an acceptable Benwood, although viz on Bennie sucked. Water temps all four days were 86-87 degrees top to bottom. Waves were 3-5 and 4-6. Definitely E-ticket stuff. A splendid time was had by all. Except the pukers. Gary and Brenda did their usual outstanding job. Upon departing the Keys on 8/19 I was relieved to see the water conditions were tempering. Heading back down on 10/27 to give it another chance.

So are you telling me we should expect bad weather upon your return....:D
Glad you had a great time. Hope the weather will improve for you next time.

Good Diving,

So are you telling me we should expect bad weather upon your return....:D
Glad you had a great time. Hope the weather will improve for you next time.

Good Diving,

I'll be arriving Tuesday, 10/27.

Forecast Oct 27-31, 2009

OCEAN REEF TO CRAIG KEY OUT 20 NM- CRAIG KEY TO THE WEST END OF THE 7 MILE BRIDGE OUT 20 NM- WEST END OF THE 7 MILE BRIDGE TO KEY WEST OUT 20 NM- OCEAN REEF TO CRAIG KEY 20 TO 60 NM OUT- CRAIG KEY TO THE WEST END OF THE 7 MILE BRIDGE 20 TO 60 NM OUT- WEST END OF THE 7 MILE BRIDGE TO KEY WEST 20 TO 60 NM OUT- KEY WEST TO 20 NM WEST OF DRY TORTUGAS OUT 60 NM- 430 PM EDT TUES OCT 27 2009 .TONIGHT...EAST WINDS 15 TO 25 KNOTS. SEAS BEYOND THE REEF 4 TO 6 FEET...EXCEPT HIGHER IN THE GULF STREAM. SEAS INSIDE THE REEF 3 TO 5 FEET. NEARSHORE WATERS A MODERATE TO SLOPPY CHOP. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS. .WEDNESDAY...EAST WINDS 20 TO 30 KNOTS. SEAS BEYOND THE REEF 5 TO 7 FEET...EXCEPT HIGHER IN THE GULF STREAM. SEAS INSIDE THE REEF 3 TO 5 FEET. NEARSHORE WATERS REMAINING NASTY. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS. .WEDNESDAY NIGHT...SOUTHEAST WINDS NEAR 25 KNOTS. SEAS BEYOND THE REEF 5 TO 7 FEET. SEAS INSIDE THE REEF AROUND 4 FEET. NEARSHORE WATERS CRAPPY. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS. .THURSDAY THROUGH FRIDAY...SOUTHEAST TO SOUTH WINDS NEAR 35 KNOTS. SEAS BEYOND THE REEF 6 TO 9 FEET. SEAS INSIDE THE REEF AROUND 5 FOOT. NEARSHORE WATERS A STILL NASTY. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS. .SATURDAY AND SUNDAY...WINDS LIGHT AND VARIABLE. SEAS BEYOND THE REEF LESS THAN 1 FOOT. SEAS INSIDE THE REEF FLAT. WATER VISIBILTY UNRESTRICTED. NEARSHORE WATERS GLASSY. FAIR SKIES AND EXTENDED HAPPY HOURS.

I'll be departing early Saturday morning, 10/31.

I'll be arriving Tuesday, 10/27.

Forecast Oct 27-31, 2009

OCEAN REEF TO CRAIG KEY OUT 20 NM- CRAIG KEY TO THE WEST END OF THE 7 MILE BRIDGE OUT 20 NM- WEST END OF THE 7 MILE BRIDGE TO KEY WEST OUT 20 NM- OCEAN REEF TO CRAIG KEY 20 TO 60 NM OUT- CRAIG KEY TO THE WEST END OF THE 7 MILE BRIDGE 20 TO 60 NM OUT- WEST END OF THE 7 MILE BRIDGE TO KEY WEST 20 TO 60 NM OUT- KEY WEST TO 20 NM WEST OF DRY TORTUGAS OUT 60 NM- 430 PM EDT TUES OCT 27 2009 .TONIGHT...EAST WINDS 15 TO 25 KNOTS. SEAS BEYOND THE REEF 4 TO 6 FEET...EXCEPT HIGHER IN THE GULF STREAM. SEAS INSIDE THE REEF 3 TO 5 FEET. NEARSHORE WATERS A MODERATE TO SLOPPY CHOP. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS. .WEDNESDAY...EAST WINDS 20 TO 30 KNOTS. SEAS BEYOND THE REEF 5 TO 7 FEET...EXCEPT HIGHER IN THE GULF STREAM. SEAS INSIDE THE REEF 3 TO 5 FEET. NEARSHORE WATERS REMAINING NASTY. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS. .WEDNESDAY NIGHT...SOUTHEAST WINDS NEAR 25 KNOTS. SEAS BEYOND THE REEF 5 TO 7 FEET. SEAS INSIDE THE REEF AROUND 4 FEET. NEARSHORE WATERS CRAPPY. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS. .THURSDAY THROUGH FRIDAY...SOUTHEAST TO SOUTH WINDS NEAR 35 KNOTS. SEAS BEYOND THE REEF 6 TO 9 FEET. SEAS INSIDE THE REEF AROUND 5 FOOT. NEARSHORE WATERS A STILL NASTY. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS. .SATURDAY AND SUNDAY...WINDS LIGHT AND VARIABLE. SEAS BEYOND THE REEF LESS THAN 1 FOOT. SEAS INSIDE THE REEF FLAT. WATER VISIBILTY UNRESTRICTED. NEARSHORE WATERS GLASSY. FAIR SKIES AND EXTENDED HAPPY HOURS.

I'll be departing early Saturday morning, 10/31.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Nice one!!! I like the use of the words NASTY, SLOPPY CHOP, AND CRAPPY in a weather forecast.
Hope to see you in OCT.

Good Diving,

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom