What are the current speeds in Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Just wondering what the current speeds are around Coz? What sites would you recommend for high current?

jbd:
Just wondering what the current speeds are around Coz? What sites would you recommend for high current?

Ok, this sounds like a loaded question to me...why would someone be seeking out the high currents?????

Anyway, I've seen the currents in Coz vary, not only from day to day, but from hour to hour. Asking this question is like betting last weeks lottery numbers this week.

As for as the high current sites, well Barracuda would have to win for a site you can get to easily...I'll warn you though that the good shops keep an eye on it, and if the currents are ripping, they won't go there.

Otherwise, if you want a guaranteed wild ride, you'll have to figure out who will take you around to the NE side of the island.

James

James Goddard:
Ok, this sounds like a loaded question to me...why would someone be seeking out the high currents?????

Anyway, I've seen the currents in Coz vary, not only from day to day, but from hour to hour. Asking this question is like betting last weeks lottery numbers this week.

As for as the high current sites, well Barracuda would have to win for a site you can get to easily...I'll warn you though that the good shops keep an eye on it, and if the currents are ripping, they won't go there.

Otherwise, if you want a guaranteed wild ride, you'll have to figure out who will take you around to the NE side of the island.

James

Thanks for the info.

As to why, I'm thinking of a trip to a place with fairly strong currents. I need to find a place where I can go to practice. I have only been to Coz once and the current wasn't an issue. Still would like to gain a bit more experience before the trip.

It is often difficult to get a dive op to go to Barracuda -- distance, conditions, your abilities, other divers.... Another site with reliable currents is Punta Tunich. It is centrally located so distance is not a problem. Some operators may still be reluctant. You should stand a better chance with one of the smaller boat ops. Currents, typically, are such that you may be able to stop without getting behind something, but not for long.

As stated before, the currents are variable.

In June 2003 we did a high current dive that we called the “Gran Prix de Cozumel”. We started at Punta Dalila, passed La Francesa and Paso Del Cedral Reefs. It was a very FAST drift dive. We traveled several miles (maybe 4 or 5?) just flying over the reef at mostly 40 - 50 feet.

In July 2004 I dove at Barracuda and it was very mellow. Go figure.

By the way, on one dive at Tormentos, we saw the water at the surface actually churning from two currents running into each other. I don't remember the current being bad underwater, but it certainly was scary seeing the froth at the surface.

Wristshot

jbd:
HI!
The past few days (didn't dive today) the currents have been all over the board - just as everyone has written - varies reef to reef and hour to hour.
Holly
www.photocozumel.com
ISLAND PHOTO-VIDEO CENTER of COZUMEL

Photocoz:
HI!
The past few days (didn't dive today) the currents have been all over the board - just as everyone has written - varies reef to reef and hour to hour.
Holly
www.photocozumel.com
ISLAND PHOTO-VIDEO CENTER of COZUMEL

HOLLY! Hey there!

FYI to everyone...I am going to give Holly an unsolicited plug here! Sorry if this sounds like an ad, but this is a valuable service to all of you photographers and/or wanabe photographers out there.

Holly and Armando ARE the photography gurus on the island. Extremely talented, genuine and friendly. They can help you with photography instruction/lessons, camera rentals, film/slide processing, repairs, etc....they are the people to see! To top it off, they are two of the nicest people I know on the island!

My Nikonos V was on it's way to it's grave after I did something really stupid! Armando miraculously resurrected it and it takes beautiful photos once again!

Go see them when you're in Cozumel...they are in the shopping centre at La Ceiba hotel.

Back
Top Bottom