What are the chances of......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cstreu1026

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
....of an old steel tank that I got for free, that was empty and way out of date for both vis and hydro, being salvageable? I believe the last hydro date was maybe 20 years ago.

At least give it a try. If it needs tumbling due to rust or other stuff inside, get it tumbled, then hydro'd, then VIPd. You got it for free so until you put $200+ into it, I think you're coming out ahead.

If it is rusty on the inside I would have it tumbled first to get it clean. Then take it and get a hydro done on it. After you get the hydro take it to a shop and get it vip'd. If it has a nylon or any sort of liner on the inside I wouldn't fool with it, but if it is rusty metal on the inside it is probably worth trying.

If you don't have a local shop let me know and I can help you out. The Nylon lined tanks have to have the lining removed, and that is to much trouble in my opinion. Rust on the inside can be removed though.

Brent

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom