What are the best cave dives in Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How's it unverified? I've done it several times. I can verify it's there. LOL.
*edit
don't get your panties in a twist. I'm just messing with you.
I figured. Unfortunately I've talked to at least two divers who have done that with a full cave diver thinking 1/3rds was acceptable. One was NAUI Cave 1, the other was basic cave. That's the only reason I pointed it out.

It's not a dive for me, but it is goldline, dove frequently, high flow, very few side passages, etc, so I guess it's reasonable, just not for me.

I'd recommend doing a day at Ginnie, simply because you read about it all the time, and you should get a taste of high flow Florida cave. It is unbelievably different from the diving you've done in Mexico. Mexico teaches you finesse and elegance and very precise control, and the mental mapping of complex systems. Florida high flow diving is very physical and involves a lot of cave contact, and a lot of flutter kicking. It's really different, and you should experience that.

But once your fingertips are hamburger, go someplace else and have fun.

I haven't dived Peacock. I loved Madison, and I didn't find the flow too difficult there. The Mill Pond is a beautiful place, above and underwater. JB is fun if the flow is down, and way too much work if it's up. Hole in the Wall is beautiful, and I liked Twin a lot, too.

If you're going to dive the high flow caves, make sure you are really fit. And think about helium, if you have the certs to use it. Fighting flow at 100 feet on Nitrox isn't smart -- or at least, I'm not smart in those circumstances. I've been given proof.

Peacock, Orange Grove, Cow upstream, Little River, Madison, Ginnie, Buford and Mill Pond systems.

If you have never been to Florida,it will all be good because it will all be unique and different. Don't worry about the Eagles Nest,Diepolder and Emerald right now,because there is enough diving at Peacock,Little River,Ginnie,Jackson Blue etc to keep you interested until your Nicholson award (500 cave dives)

...I've been given proof.
HHhhaarrr!
Lynne, you really crack me up sometimes :)
Thanks for the early morning smile.
Rick

I figured. Unfortunately I've talked to at least two divers who have done that with a full cave diver thinking 1/3rds was acceptable. One was NAUI Cave 1, the other was basic cave. That's the only reason I pointed it out.

It's not a dive for me, but it is goldline, dove frequently, high flow, very few side passages, etc, so I guess it's reasonable, just not for me.

I'm confused now...
Why is 1/3's not exceptable? This is like a 20 minute ride, depending on flow, with no kicking. If you reach thirds on this you got serious sack rate issues.

I don't know what the limitations on Cave1 and Basic Cave are. But this is a really easy dive other than the walk to Friedman's.

I usually go in catfish, put a line in to the main line, then drop a truck at Catfish, take another truck to Friedman's and drop in at Friedman's. Stay on the Gold Line until you reach your reel and you are good to go. By the way, finding Friedman's is fun because if you've never been there before, no one is going to tell you how to where the little hole in the middle of the woods is at.

Probably should mention that there's about a 3-1/2 hour drive between Ginnie and the Mill Pond. Where you want to dive is going to depend on where you're staying.

If you're down in the High Springs area, Ginnie's right there, and worth doing at least once. For my money, the trip up Hill 400 is really worthwhile ... the cave gets pretty back in there. The entry and first few hundred feet are the worst of the flow, but if you go with someone who is familiar with the cave, they'll know how to keep you out of most of it.

An hour or so to the west, in Luraville, is Peacock. Of the three entrances I've done, I like Orange Grove the best ... the trip to Challenge Sink and back is a really nice dive. And unlike Ginnie, you have no flow to deal with.

About a half-hour north of Peacock is Madison Blue. I didn't really much care for it the first time I went there, because it felt too "confining" for my taste ... but after a few dives I got to really like it. The trip to the Godzilla room is more open and interesting (to my concern) than the tighter passages going the other way, thru the Half-Hitch.

Another two hours west of there, in Marianna, is the Mill Pond ... which is where you'll find Jackson Blue and Hole in the Wall. I've only done Hole in the Wall ... and so far that's my favorite cave in Florida. If you're going there, call ahead to Cave Adventurers and arrange to rent a pontoon boat.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm confused now...
Why is 1/3's not exceptable? This is like a 20 minute ride, depending on flow, with no kicking. If you reach thirds on this you got serious sack rate issues.
As long as you're comfortable going downstream on 1/3rds, then I suppose there's nothing wrong with it. :idk:

Just not what I was taught or do.

Even with my crappy consumption, and depending on flow of course, the last few times I went, I could have went downstream to catfish and back upstream to Friedman's before I reached thirds.

The first time I did this dive, I was scared that I wouldn't have enough air. I took stage bottles with me. I didn't even reach thirds on an aluminum 80.

I'm confused now...
1/3's isn't acceptable because if you do have serious SAC rate issues and reach thirds diving any siphon, you'll need more than a third to get back. Not enough for two.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom