What are the best cave dives in Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moonglow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I am NACD Full Cave certified with 94 cave dives, all in Mexico. I will make at least 6 cave dives in Florida over the Thanksgiving weekend with my instructor (who knows Florida well). I will be qualified for the Wakulla and Abe Davis Awards which will allow me to dive in certain Florida caves.

There seems to be agreement that Manatee, Emerald and DiePolder are great dives, but they are still out of my league; though, I am Trimix II certified.

So where to dive?

I am NACD Full Cave certified with 94 cave dives, all in Mexico. I will make at least 6 cave dives in Florida over the Thanksgiving weekend with my instructor (who knows Florida well). I will be qualified for the Wakulla and Abe Davis Awards which will allow me to dive in certain Florida caves.

There seems to be agreement that Manatee, Emerald and DiePolder are great dives, but they are still out of my league; though, I am Trimix II certified.

So where to dive?
I'm not sure you're going to get anyone to post about the best. Most of the non tourist caves are things you have to do a bit of the leg work yourself.

JB and Hole in the Wall are by far the best for your money. If I were a traveling diver, I would spend the whole week on the Mill Pond.

Not sure why Manatee would be out of your league. That's easy cave divin'

Tell us what you have done in Florida, and we'll tell you some of the easier ones you're still missing.

I have never dived in the Florida caves, all in Mexico. I've been told that Manatee can have a strong flow...

Just looking for suggestions...

I have never dived in the Florida caves, all in Mexico. I've been told that Manatee can have a strong flow...

Just looking for suggestions...
Manatee flow is raging. If you're swimming I wouldn't go, especially since you're only here a week. Ginnie and JB are the other two high flow systems.

Madison is medium flow, Hole in the Wall is nearly no flow, Twin Caves is nearly no flow, Peacock is no flow, Telford can be medium flow.

Lots of choices!

for Manatee put in at Friedman, go up a few feet, then turn around and ride the wave. I keep hearing people say the flow is so strong here or there...
I either got better at swimming, or the flow isn't nearly what it used to be. Long ago in Manatee, it was impossible for me to swim upstream, at all. I remember checking for fingerprints after pulling and gliding (oh wait, it was just pulling) in Little River. Now, you can swim up current on all of these... Or maybe it's just my new Hollis F1 fins. :)

for Manatee put in at Friedman, go up a few feet, then turn around and ride the wave. I keep hearing people say the flow is so strong here or there...
I either got better at swimming, or the flow isn't nearly what it used to be. Long ago in Manatee, it was impossible for me to swim upstream, at all. I remember checking for fingerprints after pulling and gliding (oh wait, it was just pulling) in Little River. Now, you can swim up current on all of these... Or maybe it's just my new Hollis F1 fins. :)
Are you suggesting doing an unverified traverse from Friedmans to Catfish? :idk:

Honestly, I'd rather put in at Catfish unless it's cold outside. Friedmans is a long walk, tons of skeeters, can be difficult to deco with 2 people, and it's only 25ish minutes upstream from Catfish.

How's it unverified? I've done it several times. I can verify it's there. LOL.
*edit
don't get your panties in a twist. I'm just messing with you.

Flow in JB is really down right now, easy swimming.

There's only like 10 caves in FL, I'd just stick to MX.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom