What are the accessories that you will always dive with, and why ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even so, you'd be still surprised how often a spent battery, was the case on those live-aboards (largely peopled by weekend warriors, having pulled crap out of their closets, with little thought, once or twice a year); and that battery model, in particular, was for the Suunto Solution and a couple of other models, popular at the time, from the early 1990s, which either had to have its battery replaced in an approved shop; or, more often, even sent back to the manufacturer, to maintain warranty coverage. Suunto even went so far, as to place some odd, red adhesive crap to cover the screws on every module, to thwart any user access.

Suunto was consumer-friendly, and making friends, even thirty years ago . . .

Yup. I used to carry that same 1/2aa for my Datatrans, a CR2 for the MH8A, a CR2450 for my wife's VTPro, etc., fortunately all user replaceable. (One of the choices I don't like on the Peregrine and the Descent Mk2.)

DSMB + reel
Cutting device.

Always carry a cutting device. Line, string, and rope, theres plenty of that in the sea, especially on wrecks.

If your not ascending up a shot a DSMB helps reduce the risk of cutting run over by a boat. It also lets the boat see you drifting. An inflated DSMB is also an excellent signalling device once on the surface.

I would say I normally carry a torch. For the obvious reason, and as a surface signalling device.
The device I use the most is the line cutter. While the reefs around here are technically a marine preserve some methods of fishing are allowed and we run into lots of monofilament line, hooks, and sinkers. We remove what we can without damaging coral.

Once we terminated a dive before we got in the water so we could rescue an entangled sea bird. After cutting it loose, getting it some shade until it recovered a bit, and taking it to the wildlife sanctuary across the island we resumed the dive.

Dive light for peeking into holes & crevices

Camera system because I never know when the perfect shot will come along

Divegoose

I really don't change my layout much and honestly I've started diving all open water set for solo, even if it is a planned buddy dive. The exception to all is pool "dives" where I bring what I need and what I want to work on lol
However this is my must have list of equipment for 98% of my diving.

Buddy dive:
Cutting device x 2
light x 2 (mostly dive low viz)
compass
computer
DSMB & spool
whistle

For solo I add:
2nd computer
2nd compass
2nd mask

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/