What are some of your worst entanglement experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would think this applies, it's me describing on scubaboard in 2008 an incident that happened to me on the north sea:

trapped in net trying to ascend

After that experience, I really contemplated to stop diving, but in the end I changed how I dive.

Cheers,

Wannes

hey thanks for all the good pointers, I will try my best to drill the don't panic into my head before something like bad entanglement actually happens to me. The aluminum pointer is a great idea, and I will consider practicing in a pool setting, thanks for the help
Focus on positive-actions, not things to avoid.
  • "Don't panic!" => Ok buddy, easier said than done
  • "Stay calm & focus" => Hey, that's something I can try and focus on!
For the pointers, look up "lobster tickler", they're generally fairly cheap and setup reasonably well for scuba-use. Though, just about any aluminum or fiberglass or tough-plastic rod will work, if you can find a way to drill a hole in one end, to pass a keyring or lanyard through. You could even use skewers used in cooking if you file off the pointy-end though they might rust depending on the material.

Had a major entanglement incident diving the engine room on The Cederville in the Straits of Mackinaw years ago. Both of us were Full Cave trained. On exit I lost buoyancy in a drysuit going across deck (down) and in the process “birdnested” my reel as I was reeling in. Totally wrapping my legs and arms in line. Of course as I crashed into the inside of the engine room, a silt and rust monster ensued. So now I’m wrapped up in my own line and zero visibility at 80 feet inside a wreck. That’s why this turned into a simple cave diving training exercise. I flagged my buddy who exited first. He handed me the exit line and in 15 seconds I had cut myself free. We then both exited and removed the cut line. Nothing we hadn’t encountered in our cave diving training.

My two marriages:)

Extreme entanglement is rare. I do recommend having an EEZYCUT trilobite mounted on a forearm.

I've been entangled by the line from a spool. I didn't want to cut it. It was a mess, but didn't interfere with my finning. I have gotten entangled in kelp, but just stayed calm and cut with a small dive tool. You don't need a Rambo III BFK.

In general, stay away from popular fishing spots and you'll be fine.

As with any situation, stay calm, breath deeply, pause, then address the problem. You've got plenty of gas, no need to rush and burn through gas.

Humboldt squid on the other hand.....

WHAT the hell???

WHAT the hell???
From Tall Tales: Giant Squid

Cassell was anything but unscathed after his own terrifying encounter. “I later discovered bruises on me the size of oranges, as well as several scratches in my anti-squid armour suit,” he says.
spacer.gif

Undeterred, Cassell has returned to squid-infested waters on numerous occasions since his lucky escape.

I met him in 2017 and the voice inside my head was urging me to ask him about that, but I just opted to thank him for his environmental work.

I haven't gotten entangled, but I have cut some lines from the bottom. I love my mini-fogcutter knife. It's a knifer and scissors, all in one tool. I have it mounted to my BCD. The larger version is also a tank banger.

Mini Fog Cutter Knife

I haven't gotten entangled, but I have cut some lines from the bottom. I love my mini-fogcutter knife. It's a knifer and scissors, all in one tool. I have it mounted to my BCD. The larger version is also a tank banger.

Mini Fog Cutter Knife
How many years have you had it? Looks fairly compact and versatile. Any rust? I haven't quite grokked all the different values for stainless steel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom