What are some of your worst entanglement experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitrox_DiverNY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Im interested to hear some entanglement stories and what it took to get free. As a new diver I think one of my biggest fears is extreme entanglement in fishing line or a net. Besides a knife what are the best precations to avoid entanglement?

The only time I've been remotely entangled was caught in some fishing line under town pier in Bonaire. My buddy did her job - noticed, got my attention to stop, and took care of it.

I think a good buddy is your best tool, way easier for someone else to see what is going on and help. Situational awareness is good too, I might have thought about the fact that I was diving under a pier and paid more attention, though the stuff is pretty hard to see. As far as a cutting device, things like EMT scissors or line cutters tend to be more useful than knives.

The only time I've been remotely entangled was caught in some fishing line under town pier in Bonaire. My buddy did her job - noticed, got my attention to stop, and took care of it.

I think situational awareness is the best tool, and a good buddy to help if needed. As far as a cutting device, things like EMT scissors or line cutters tend to be more useful than knives.
Im glad your buddy was able to resolve your tangle, and I agree that situational awareness is the best tool. Ill take a look into the EMT scissors. Safe diving!

Extreme entanglement is rare. I do recommend having an EEZYCUT trilobite mounted on a forearm.

I've been entangled by the line from a spool. I didn't want to cut it. It was a mess, but didn't interfere with my finning. I have gotten entangled in kelp, but just stayed calm and cut with a small dive tool. You don't need a Rambo III BFK.

In general, stay away from popular fishing spots and you'll be fine.

As with any situation, stay calm, breath deeply, pause, then address the problem. You've got plenty of gas, no need to rush and burn through gas.

Humboldt squid on the other hand.....

I was clearing the net on a mid water trawl boat in the Gulf of Maine. The entire net was wrapped up around the wheel. It took 22 cylinders to clear the net (I had no idea what I was doing) and I was so tangled in net so many times I had to abandon my dive gear, find my way out, get more gear, go in and rescue my gear, and go back to work.

I give this a 1 of 5, do not recommend.

Extreme entanglement is rare. I do recommend having an EEZYCUT trilobite mounted on a forearm.

I've been entangled by the line from a spool. I didn't want to cut it. It was a mess, but didn't interfere with my finning. I have gotten entangled in kelp, but just stayed calm and cut with a small dive tool. You don't need a Rambo III BFK.

In general, stay away from popular fishing spots and you'll be fine.

As with any situation, stay calm, breath deeply, pause, then address the problem. You've got plenty of gas, no need to rush and burn through gas.

Humboldt squid on the other hand.....
it is definitely reassuring that extreme entanglement is rare, and I will take a look at the easy cut. Your right no need to rush and maybe make a bad situation worse. Now you have me worried about giant squid!

I was clearing the net on a mid water trawl boat in the Gulf of Maine. The entire net was wrapped up around the wheel. It took 22 cylinders to clear the net (I had no idea what I was doing) and I was so tangled in net so many times I had to abandon my dive gear, find my way out, get more gear, go in and rescue my gear, and go back to work.

I give this a 1 of 5, do not recommend.
22 tanks woah! Im glad you finished the job safe, thanks for sharing

Nylon small mesh fishing net is dangerous. Mono-filament is nearly as bad.
One thing I had learnt is to take it easy otherwise it could get really serious.
Sharp cutter is better than knife.

My worst entanglement was a girlfriend, who is thankfully now an ex.

While scuba-diving, I haven't had anything notable yet. I typically carry at least 2 cutting devices. In very bad visibility, I use a 2-ft "lobster tickler" (aluminum pointer-stick) to feel ahead.

I'll +1 what others said about cutting tools.
  • Line-cutters are my favorite, specifically the ones similar to EEZYCUT. DGX has a couple options in the $20 to $30 range.
  • Trauma scissors are 2nd favorite. They're super-cheap, and relatively small. I typically buy 2-packs & keep an extra in my save-a-dive kit.
  • Small knife is a 3rd option, preferably with out a point & with 1 serrated edge.

Now you have me worried about giant squid!

Just don't dive in the Sea of Cortez at night in September!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom