What are some of your worst entanglement experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

20 years ago I was wreck diving on the Wolf Islander II in Kingston Ontario. I had doubles and a bailout bottle I was in the interior of the wreck at about 75-80 feet. I was swimming forward in a passage way and then all of a sudden I couldn't swim forward any further like something was pulling on me. I stopped and turned around and back tracked...I then couldn't go any further the way I came in...I turned around again and came back again with the same issue. I was stuck somehow but could swim approx 10-15 feet in both directions. I finally realized my gear was stuck on something but I didn't know what. I started to take off my BP/W and my plan was to exit the interior with my bailout bottle. As I was taking off the BP/W I noticed a cable was hooked onto a carabiner on my secondary reel. Somehow the cable "opened" my carabiner and the cable ran through the interior of the wreck with different length keepers against the interior of the wreck hence only allowing me to travel 10-15 feet in either direction. After that I only used bolt snaps. I also wanted to say I had fear and panic at one point but closed my eyes and regrouped mentally to figure out how to get out of this alive. Clearly I have not forgotten

My worst entanglement was a girlfriend, who is thankfully now an ex.

While scuba-diving, I haven't had anything notable yet. I typically carry at least 2 cutting devices. In very bad visibility, I use a 2-ft "lobster tickler" (aluminum pointer-stick) to feel ahead.

I'll +1 what others said about cutting tools.
  • Line-cutters are my favorite, specifically the ones similar to EEZYCUT. DGX has a couple options in the $20 to $30 range.
  • Trauma scissors are 2nd favorite. They're super-cheap, and relatively small. I typically buy 2-packs & keep an extra in my save-a-dive kit.
  • Small knife is a 3rd option, preferably with out a point & with 1 serrated edge.
haha! I feel you on that! I will definitely check out the eezycut and trauma scissors. thanks for the help

20 years ago I was wreck diving on the Wolf Islander II in Kingston Ontario. I had doubles and a bailout bottle I was in the interior of the wreck at about 75-80 feet. I was swimming forward in a passage way and then all of a sudden I couldn't swim forward any further like something was pulling on me. I stopped and turned around and back tracked...I then couldn't go any further the way I came in...I turned around again and came back again with the same issue. I was stuck somehow but could swim approx 10-15 feet in both directions. I finally realized my gear was stuck on something but I didn't know what. I started to take off my BP/W and my plan was to exit the interior with my bailout bottle. As I was taking off the BP/W I noticed a cable was hooked onto a carabiner on my secondary reel. Somehow the cable "opened" my carabiner and the cable ran through the interior of the wreck with different length keepers against the interior of the wreck hence only allowing me to travel 10-15 feet in either direction. After that I only used bolt snaps. I also wanted to say I had fear and panic at one point but closed my eyes and regrouped mentally to figure out how to get out of this alive. Clearly I have not forgotten
that must have been nerve racking, and I bet your glad you had that bailout bottle! Im glad you got yourself out of that safely! thanks for sharing

haha! I feel you on that! I will definitely check out the eezycut and trauma scissors. thanks for the help
I have the EEZYCUT on one Shearwater, one of these squeeze blunt tipped dive knives on the other: Best Dive Knife | Squeeze Lock - Aqualung. The tools you take all depend on what you come across. I wouldn't dive near kelp without a small blade.

Once, I had to surface swim for two hours to reach the shore in a place I did not know. About 100 meters from the shore, I saw a rope and I went under to pass it. Well. Not enough. The rope got entangled with my first stage and my tank valve. I was about to use my knife to cut it but my buddy came and untangled me.

Always dive with a buddy.

Haven't had any that I can remember thankfully. My standard tools are shears on the right hip, line cutter just left of the waist buckle, and a folding Spyderco Atlantic Salt (Fully serrated wicked sharp sheepsfoot) in my right thigh pocket.

Once, I had to surface swim for two hours to reach the shore in a place I did not know. About 100 meters from the shore, I saw a rope and I went under to pass it. Well. Not enough. The rope got entangled with my first stage and my tank valve. I was about to use my knife to cut it but my buddy came and untangled me.

Always dive with a buddy.
wow that's a crazy long swim! im glad your buddy was able to free you

When we had some issues during a training I was entangled with line of my spool, my valves of my doubles and my buddy his valves of his doubles. It was a mess, we were lucky enough to dive in a team of 3.

The instructor tried to teach us that we should be careful with line. :) Without him it would be such a mess.

We talking strictly water here? :)

Back
Top Bottom