DIR- Generic What are people using for backup lights now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dude, switches fail. You know it,

In over 45 years of diving I have yet to have a switch on a backup or primary light fail.

Everything/anything can fail, even the O-ring on the twist on/off lights can fail. :stirpot:

In over 45 years of diving I have yet to have a switch on a backup or primary light fail.

Everything/anything can fail, even the O-ring on the twist on/off lights can fail. :stirpot:

My switch of my bigblue vl9000p did fail. The light did flooded.

Some lights are more reliable then other lights.

Dude, switches fail. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. There’s more parts. Moving parts at that. And all of those parts can break.

Switches are also apt to get bumped on. Twist lights don’t do that. Turn them off, press on the bezel to make sure depth pressure won’t turn them on, and go about your life.

A bumped on backup that’s on for hours and not noticed (cough cough the one in your pocket) is not good.

Innovation doesn’t automatically mean it’s better.

The faf you’re describing with testers, chargers, switches, etc is without point. 3 alkaline LED scout style (halcyon, heser, whatever quality piece you’ve got) straight up works. It’s tried and proven.

I agree with the face side buttons, but I haven't had a tail switch turn on in the 7ish years I've been using them since they're recessed and have to be pushed in quite a bit. I have had my face buttons turn on a handful of times and no longer put those in pockets or on my harness.
We'll have to agree to disagree on the batteries though

I really like my Halcyon Defender Pro 200 reel for deeper shots coming off of wrecks.

The Scout Mini locks in perfectly to the Defender Pro 200’s handle.

Haven’t bought the Mini Scouts yet but plan on it.

Y’all can make fun of me if you need to.

Holy crap, embossing each H on the torch head must require a master jeweler’s skill and care. The checkout from Extreme Exposure was like a 14th century blood-letting.

not with the modern buttons, I haven't had any of them fail and use them regularly. The advantage of the twisties is that they don't usually come on when you don't want them to which is what the buttons are bad about. I use twisties on my harness for that reason

That and twisties have the benefit of not having to brief your buddy about how to turn on your backup lights, where the button it, what it feels like, how many seconds to hold it down...

Parking lot convos for fun dives should be for confirming that the correct type of beer for the after-dive beverage is properly being iced.

That and twisties have the benefit of not having to brief your buddy about how to turn on your backup lights, where the button it, what it feels like, how many seconds to hold it down...

Parking lot convos for fun dives should be for confirming that the correct type of beer for the after-dive beverage is properly being iced.

Stouts!

Reactions: mer

Sheesh...everyone knows an IPA and salted peanuts are a better choice.

You should be banned for passing on sloppy diving practices. This is up there with teaching from the knees.

The nerve...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom