What are good destinations in Mexico?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bosstone75

Reaction score
Hello all! This is my first post here and I'd like to thank you all in advance for helping me sort out my next vacation!

My friend and I are planning a trip to Mexico over Christmas break. Does anyone know the top three diving cities in Mexico? We would want to have the option of shore dives since my friend has yet to overcome her sea sickness. We also would like a cheaper place to go. So far, we're looking at Cancun and Cozumel.

Thanks in advance for any help you could provide!
Bill

Go to Cozumel. You can't beat the diving. Give DIMI divers a try. We use them all the time. It is all drift diving but the current is usually ok. The night life there is great too. That is one of the reasons we use Dimi, they start later in the morning. More recovery time for those that partake!
Joe

I was in Mexico in March and stayed in Playa del Carmen, a perfect, central spot for diving. There is a ferry from here to Cozumel that takes under an hour, or you can arrange with any of the dive shops to take you diving in Cozumel. Playa del Carmen is also closer to the cenotes than somewhere like Cancun, several within 20 minutes which the dive shops again will take you out to. If you go to Mexico you have got to do the cenotes! Best dive experience I ever had....just phenomenal! There is also good diving in Akumal, which is about 15-20 minutes south of Playa del Carmen.

I went out to the cenotes with Tank-ha dive center.....www.tankha.com....I would definitely try them, they also offer packages that combine ocean dives with Cozumel and the cenotes.

On it's own, Playa del Carmen can be a nice place to stay. If I had to do it again I'd stay right in town in one of the hotels on the beach. Several of them are very affordable. It's much quieter than Cancun, but plenty of nightlife. It is growing very rapidly though, so be forewarned!

sturgeon once bubbled...
I was in Mexico in March and stayed in Playa del Carmen, a perfect, central spot for diving. There is a ferry from here to Cozumel that takes under an hour, or you can arrange with any of the dive shops to take you diving in Cozumel.

While you may be able to get a PdC dive company to take you across to Cozumel, I don't recommend making the crossing on a dive boat. You would get beat up pretty badly on a sixpack, and a larger boat will take 2 hours or more each way. I would recommend staying on Coz (where the diving is much better) and crossing (on the ferry) to dive the cenotes.

bosstone75 once bubbled...
. Does anyone know the top three diving cities in Mexico? We would want to have the option of shore dives since my friend has yet to overcome her sea sickness. We also would like a cheaper place to go. So far, we're looking at Cancun and Cozumel.
Cozumel --- world class diving from boats, reasonable shore diving. Beats all other Mexican scuba destinations, with the possible exception of the difficult-to-reach Banco Chinchorro.

Cancun -- Pretty good diving with lots of marine life, but the reef formations are much smaller than at Cozumel. Good destination when traveling with lots of non-divers.

Mayan Riviera -- Playa del Carmen/Akumal, etc. (mainland S. of Cancun, across from Cozumel island). OK reef diving, great location for Cenote (cave and cavern) dives. Both Cancun and Mayan Riviera tend to have rougher sea conditions since the reefs are on the windward side, unlike the Cozumel reefs that are NE side, which is generally leeward.

Puerto Vallarta -- bring your scuba gear if you are going there on vacation, but don't go there for the scuba.

Sea of Cortez -- I haven't been there yet, but some swear by it.

Charlie99 once bubbled...
Both Cancun and Mayan Riviera tend to have rougher sea conditions since the reefs are on the windward side, unlike the Cozumel reefs that are NE side, which is generally leeward.

Correct, except for direction. The reefs at Cozumel are mostly off the west around to southwest coast of the island. Since the prevailing swell there is from the east, the island shields the dive sites.

Charlie99 once bubbled...
Sea of Cortez -- I haven't been there yet, but some swear by it.
I dive The Sea of Cortez alot and it's pretty nice but can't compare to Coz. (San Carlos)
It's pretty cheap when comparing other destinations and if you want to do a bit of fishing while your there IT CAN'T BE BEAT!!! at least for the costs. They have AMAZING game fish there.

The SOC of nice because you get a great mix of reef and shallow water life with a great mix of pelagic life. One min your looking at lobsters and your turn your head and you got a big sail fish cruising by. Not much as far as reefs go but the SOC is very young geologically so the reefs haven't had much time to build up.
Their's alot of critters that are only found in the SOC.

ggunn once bubbled...
Correct, except for direction. The reefs at Cozumel are mostly off the west around to southwest coast of the island. Since the prevailing swell there is from the east, the island shields the dive sites.
So that's why I never made it back to shore after my last dive :dork:

The coastline, and usually the current, run N-NE.

I've been to both Cozumel and Playa Del Carmen/Mayan Riviera. The hotels in the Mayan Riviera are more luxurious but if you're looking to dive or even snorkel you definitely want to stay in Cozumel.
As for taking the Ferry across from Playa Del Carmen (by the way, that's what most of the operators from Playa Del Carmen do when they offer their guests a day of diving in Cozumel) it's expensive and takes at least 45 min. plus you'll find you're rushed because the dive operator will want to get back to the resort before quitting time - 5 p.m..
Also, dives often are cancelled in the Playa del Carmen/Mayan area when it's windy because it prevents the boats from leaving the harbour to pick up the divers. This does'nt happen often in Cozumel.
The coral and sea life is more interesting in Cozumel than on the Mayan side. The Mayan side offers the Ceynotes which are amazing if you like caverns.
My vote would be for Cozumel!!
Either way, you'll have a wonderful time I'm sure and amazing value for the money.
Barb:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom