What are good destinations in Mexico?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If your just looking to dive, want to go to MX then I don't know why anyone would pass up Coz. Also should get to mainland and do at least one Cenote dive.

If you're going for the diving I don't think you can beat Cozumel. If you're going for the parties and dive once or twice while you're there, go to Cancun or Playa de Carma.

Has your girlfriend tried Transderm Scope for her seasickness. It works for a lot of people without side effects.

I like going to Mexico. I would probably rate specifically where to go on your "Party Index" and go from there. My tips would be:

* If staying in Cozumel, stay close to town, the taxi rides into town will suck up a lot of cash. You can dive in the Cenotes if you take a ferry over to the mainland for a day (If it is your last day diving, it is a nice fresh water rinse for your gear) Nice & calm too. The ferries are big & the ride is generally smooth. There are plenty of opinions on the board. We are trying Brisas the next time. I like Cozumel. Make sure your place has good air conditioning.

* If on the Mainland, I think the farther south from Cancun you go the nicer it is. (Mayan Rivera etc.) There is a lot of nice diving , drift diving etc. Pick your size of place, many are nice. This makes it easier to go see some history too. Tulum and Chitzen-itza, coba etc. Right in Cancun I find it too busy and out of town less touristy, more like you are in Mexico. Don't shy away from operators with the bigger boats, they ride nice....

And about that sea-sickness. I used to really suffer from it. I once started to feel queasy standing on a boat at a boat show that was propped up in an arena. That's the absolute truth. NOTHING worked. I got sick every time I was on the water.

I did two things. I tried the Scopalamine patch. It worked for me. Better yet, after a few months, then the other stuff started to work too. Dramamine, bonine etc... Once I started to beat it - it got easier to beat. It still bothers me a bit and I take a dramamine before I go out. Actually the Cenotes make me a bit queasy too. (If I forget the dramamine). I really believe that part of it is in your mind. Not all, but part.

I also bought a boat which helps too. The more you are on the water, the more immune you get. Anyway, the patch does not make me drowzy.

I hope that this helps, I am sorry I can't rate three top sites for you. I think it depends on the people you are with, the weather, and who knows what other factors. There are lots of choices in either place. My reasoning is that with the right frame of mind you will love both for different reasons. Most of the time I find if you don't act like a dork, you will be treated well. (Referring to some of the perpetual complainer's messages I have read elsewhere on this board). Don't let one bad message scare you off from a place.

I am glad you posted here, I think it is a great place to learn a lot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom