what are dive socks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveFass

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm looking to replace my poor fitting 2mil Henderson boots and I see this thing called "dive socks". Anyone know what that is?

I'm going to use them with open heel fins (rubber strap on the back) in warm water and although they will be used 90% of the time on boat dives, I'd like to be able to do Bonaire-type shore dives with them too.

Also, if you found something you love, please let me know.

Thanks.

Steve

These would be neoprene socks with a neoprene bottom instead of some kind of sole. They're comfy and ok for boats, but will get trashed pretty quick if you walk around much anyplace in them. They also won't give your feet much protection if you need to walk on rocks or coral to get in the water.

There's tropical booties out there that have soles to provide some protection and wear, but aren't thick sneaker-like things. I prefer those over socks or very constructed booties.

Not exactly the question you asked, but I've found that just wearing a regular pair of socks cuts down the wear on my feet. I used to start getting sores on my feet after several days of intensive diving. After being submerged for several hours a day for a week, the skin gets very soft and easy to damage. Over 20+ hours of bottom time in a week, any seam or imperfection in the boot will rub a raw spot on my foot that is slow to heal when continually exposed to saltwater. This happened to me with three different brands of boots.

I first tried some neoprene socks. They solved the problem, were awkward to put on.

Then one day I decided to just leave my normal socks on. Works like a charm.

Charlie Allen

p.s. If your LDS doesn't have neoprene socks, then take a look at some skindiving and spearfishing oriented shops.

Charlie - you described my problem exactly. I get a sore on the back of the foot if I dive a lot. I thought about trying mole skin but then decided it would be easier and cheaper in the long run to just get a good fitting bootie.

Cotton socks? Really?? Doesn't someone make a "sock" out of something that would dry quicker like Lycra?

I've seen lycra socks, also Darlexx type socks. Ski shops are another good place to look.

I've also had a problem with areas of my foot getting rubbed raw, specifically on the tops of my toes. I wear full foot fins, and even though I've tried several different models, I always seem to have the same issue. I tried some thin socks (probably lycra) that I found at the LDS, but they didn't help much.

I'd really like to avoid going to open heel fins and booties, but that may be the next step. Any suggestions?

-Paul

My Insta-Dry boots rubbed the skin right off of my achilles tendon area during a 5 day, 2 dive a day dive trip. I bought Lycra socks from Leisurepro and just came back from doing 17 dives in 5 days on a Blackbeard liveaboard, and I came back with all the skin on my feet. I love them.
Coqui Diver

SteveFass:
Cotton socks?
I usually make a fashion statement with argyle socks, particularly when I forget to put on the socks until after pulling on my wetsuit and the top 2 or 3 inches are on the outside of the wetsuit. :)

Sometimes ribbed dress socks. I don't know for sure, but they are probably some generic blend of cotton and synthetics. The boots would slip and rub when using thin nylon socks.

I have 2 pair of lycra socks that I wear in my booties with open heel fins and will never dive without them. After a couple of dives your skin gets soft and then cuts and peels easily but the lycra ones really help a lot. They make sliding your feet through the legs in your wetsuit a lot easier too. I saw a guy wearing them with full foot fins in Cozumel after about 4 or 5 days when my feet were all tore up so I bought some. I liked them so much, I bought myself another pair. I tried the 2 mil neoprene ones but like the thin Lycra ones better. They are about 10 or 12 bucks but here's some for under $7.

http://www.scuba.com/shop/diving.asp_cat_112_scuba_1_gear_002103_pn_DEEP-SEE-LYCRA-FIN-SOCKS

Okay, okay, - I'll give them a try. But what the heck? They are $15 at Leisure Pro! Well, maybe it will fit better - their version come in 3 diff sizes.

Thanks for the fashion tip Charlie, but I don't think I can pull off argyle. I'll leave that statement to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom