What activities/things to do, should be available when you are NOT Diving ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Visiting sites of historical interest always does it for me. Civil War sites here stateside, Mayan ruins in Mexico, etc. Great way to spend that dry day before flying back.

When I was staying at Bequa Lagoon last July In there main office they had a desktop for e-mails and they let me edit my pics on my camera and transfer them to my memory stick, very convenient. I like the idea of a flat screen in the common area for people to share pics of the day. :)

Yea, their only (I think) TV on the island is used for viewing videos in the dining area---esp the day's shark ones...We were there in Sept & 2 Tiger's came in on our dive!!!---the rest of the resort was SOME upset when they watched our video that nite @ supper....We could only sit there & grin :D.....

When I'm not diving I need three things ...

- food ... preferably served in a timely manner
- someplace to sleep
- electricity for charging batteries and running my laptop

Depending on where I'm diving, food could either come in the form of restaurants, an all-inclusive "cafeteria" style setting (e.g. liveaboards or some resorts), or home cooking. I don't need fancy, since I'd prefer spending my money on diving activities.

My preference in sleeping arrangements depend on the setting. On a liveaboard, I can sleep in a berth or even a hammock as long as there's someplace for me to plug in my CPAP machine (otherwise nobody else on board is gonna be able to sleep). Elsewhere, again, I don't need luxury ... as long as it's reasonably clean and comfortable.

Electricity ... needs to be able to accommodate multiple chargers for camera, strobes, laptop, dive lights, and possibly a scooter.

All else is dependent on location ... if I'm in a place like Bonaire, where diving's available 24/7, I don't need any other activities ... I won't have time for them anyway.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, as long as you can get in five dives a day, you really don't care if the rest of the time (what time?) is spent in a sty. I know you! :D

Reactions: Jax
Try a cruise. That way you can dive and your S/O and or kids can do their own things. Then in the afternoon and evening you can all join up and have fun together.

I know, cruise diving is like the cattle boat. All the stops are listed and you can arrange your own diving. The only problem with that, if you get back late, the boat has no obligaton to wait for you.

I would still have the ship book my diving. You don't have to follow the crowd at every stop. By the way, I've found that Princess Cruises are better at booking the dive destinations.

Greetings danvolker and I love your thread just got back from north Florida trip with my family.
It was fantastic by the way largely in part by the efforts of Cave Excursions staff Bill, Linda, and Karen.

What is important?
1. Families like great food, variety and good quality fun atmosphere with varying dress attire.
2. Great activities: Geo Catching is awesome, local sites, historical tours, boat rides, water activities {all of them}, Museums, hiking trails.etc. "Exploit the natural resources at hand but educate us with the history and local lore!"
3. Have a reference sheet of rainy day activities or non-physical activities; Movie theaters, etc. " not our choice but for others who prefer to veg on vacation."
4. In Gulf Shores we did a shrimping tour with a local boat that my kids are still talking about.
They got to help put the net out and bring in the catch, sort it and watch the birds, dolphins very hands on!
5. Security at all times must be reasonable and briefed upon, "the do's and don't do's"

What I have found is that even in areas that other may scoff at as non-vacation sites there is a wealth of activity for all levels of family members non-divers.
This past trip was by far one of the best trips I have ever taken any where here in the US and abroad.
What made it so? Shared experiences with my wife and kids!
Who helped arrange these? Bill, Linda , and Karen offering advice and guidance.
CUSTOMER SERVICE, GOOD RELATIONAL SKILLS, AND A OVERALL KNOWLEDGE OF THE OPPORTUNITIES AT HAND.
Those things make memories that last a lifetime!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

All the suggestions so far are great. I'd like to throw one in, even though it's often the bane of divers: waterskiing.

I am an avid skier, and the family enjoys it too. So on the days or times when I/we can't or don't dive, if I/we could rent a decent ski and get a few pulls behind a proper towboat, (Mastercraft, Nautique, Malibu, etc.), man, that would be awesome.

All the suggestions so far are great. I'd like to throw one in, even though it's often the bane of divers: waterskiing.

I am an avid skier, and the family enjoys it too. So on the days or times when I/we can't or don't dive, if I/we could rent a decent ski and get a few pulls behind a proper towboat, (Mastercraft, Nautique, Malibu, etc.), man, that would be awesome.

Actually, if you were diving Palm beach, specifically Boynton/Delray, you could go to Ski Rixen...
Nick Kamper 2010 on Vimeo for a video showing the operation
Welcome to the Ski Rixen | South Florida Cable Ski Park | SkiRixenUSA.com

They run at 4 different speeds I think..slow for wakeboards and knee boards,
faster for double skiis. Faster still for slalom, and then fastest for barefoot.
Ski Rixen is about 10 minutes from the Dive Resort we have in DelRay, the Mariott at the beach.

How does this sound to you?

Dive
Eat
Night Dive
Sleep
Repeat

Actually, if you were diving Palm beach, specifically Boynton/Delray, you could go to Ski Rixen...
Nick Kamper 2010 on Vimeo for a video showing the operation
Welcome to the Ski Rixen | South Florida Cable Ski Park | SkiRixenUSA.com

They run at 4 different speeds I think..slow for wakeboards and knee boards,
faster for double skiis. Faster still for slalom, and then fastest for barefoot.
Ski Rixen is about 10 minutes from the Dive Resort we have in DelRay, the Mariott at the beach.

How does this sound to you?

Pretty awesome, actually! I've never cable skied, but I can see how logistically, it would be easier than using a towboat.

I have family in FL and plan on heading there for some dive trips in the future, and when I do, I'll look y'all up!

Back
Top Bottom