Suggestion What about...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
The Chairman

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
moderators?

clubs?

forums?

What do you have to say about the rest? the bannings thread is starting to slow down a tad.

NetDoc:
Believe it or not Tom, I believe you and I still respect what you have done. Even though I was the one who sent you the PM on banning, I was not the one who made that decision, and I don't think I was even the one who asked for it. BUT, since I was the one who had reccomended you as moderator, I got the short straw. BTW, I only mentioned you, because you mentioned yourself earlier. I didn't refer to the others simply because I think it is wrong for me to initiate that kind of thing.

I know you didn't make the final choice, nor ask for it.

I have no problem with my moderating career, or my SB career in general, being discussed. I would hope that my experiences can help others to keep from catching their own Johnsons in the door.

WW

WreckWriter:
I would hope that my experiences can help others to keep from catching their own Johnsons in the door.

WW
That's a graphic I didn't need to paint....*OUCH*

diverlady:
Hi Sapphire,

There are definitely areas that would benefit from some expertise. However, there are areas that could be a problem where the Mod might actually be in direct competition with a member's posting.
That was the point I was trying (and apparently not very clearly) to make.

Diverlady

Diverlady (sorry for messing up on your name earlier)...

I totally agree with you!

:)

NetDoc:
Believe it or not Tom, I believe you and I still respect what you have done. Even though I was the one who sent you the PM on banning, I was not the one who made that decision, and I don't think I was even the one who asked for it. BUT, since I was the one who had reccomended you as moderator, I got the short straw. BTW, I only mentioned you, because you mentioned yourself earlier. I didn't refer to the others simply because I think it is wrong for me to initiate that kind of thing.

But Pete, this is exactly part of the problem.

Even today, WW, doesn't know who DID initiate it or make the decision, right?

So even the accused doesn't have access to the allegations against him, the deliberations, knowledge of who made the decision or the ability to offer rebuttal in his/her own defense?

I posted this last night..... this doesn't strike you as fundamentally inappropriate?

jonnythan:
While I'm on the subject of mods, I think this whole system is reprehensible. I've been "on the other side" of the mod argument in many forums and irc channels and so forth, and I can wholeheartedly understand how you think the way you do. However, being on *this* side here and other places, I really honestly think the stonewalling is total BS. Saying (I'm making this up) "SeaJay was banned for threatening to beat up Uncle Pug, RavenC was banned because she was letting SeaJay use her account after his ban to threaten Uncle Pug some more," etc, would make this all go away. There are absolutely no privacy issues involved. If I posted a goatse link, got banned, and people asked, I'd fully expect a "Jonnythan, the dope, posted obscene links and got banned."

Right now, the way it feels on *this* side is "We [moderators] aren't confident enough in our decision to ban to make it public. I mean, if everyone knew RavenC and CobaltBabe were banned strictly by association, they'd be mad and leave."

I have no desire to know which mod did exactly what, but disclosing even the simplest specific instance that caused a ban would do volumes for the credibility here. There isn't any now.
Pete, I argued in favor of this same idea yesterday. What is you opinion on it?

IMHO, this is the problem. You guys ban somebody that you decided was more a negative force on the board than a positive one and then you set yourselves up to listen to all the banned person's buddies whine and complain about it. Then you get the first amendment activists, the rec.scuba free speech ******, and the democracy ******* in the thread and it all goes to hell in a handbasket. It was the same thing with the singles forum and look what an abomination that turned into.

Take a page from Machiavelli and hit hard and don't make excuses. If you need to do "evil", do it quickly and return to all the useful stuff you guys have to do behind the scenes. When you guys decide to do something, it has to be swift, certain, and you have to stand behind it. Tell people "this is the way it is, the decision was made, deal with it or leave". When people start calling you guys into question (esp. in public) and whining to high hell about it, ban them too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom