What about Torque?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Potapko

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been doing some reading and talking to users here with different scooters. Some said they chose a heavier, somewhat larger scooter because of wrist discomfort due to the torque felt with the smaller units. ie Sierra, Suex 7 and 14, and N19.
All experiences welcome and info desired. I am using a stock Mako and looking to buy a better scooter but not sure which one.

the main question for me here is the question of torque and its impact on diver comfort.

thanks in advance,

I dive with a Hollis H-160. There is very little, if any, torque-iness. It ramps up to speed gradually for a very smooth take- off. The only bad thing with that, is it takes a moment before you realize you're actually moving. I have dove with some friends' Mako's & also noticed the it tends to jerk you a bit on the take-off. That is one of the things I really like about the H-160. Here is my take on the H-160 from a reply I made on the Deco Stop forum about the scooter:

"I am the owner of the Hollis H-160 DPV that crpntr133 borrowed. All he has stated was true. The problem I had with the light was some condensation got into the light. It caused a short that caused the light to remain on, even when in the off position. As he stated, Hollis took care of the problem quickly & without any cost to me. The light was very easy to remove & replace. I've had the scooter since June. Here is my take on it:

Pros:
-It is easy to handle. It is very negatively buoyant (freshwater- have never had it in salt water) when not being operated, but once in motion, it "planes out" neutral.
- It steers easly- well balanced
- The molded weights are screwed into the top of the battery which is nice for balancing the scooter, overall
- I really like the way it ramps up to speed. It is not torquey & doesn't jerk me on the start.
- Even though this is my first DPV, it seems to have ample power for a DPV of its size. At the lowest power setting, it is comprable to a Mako speed & power- wise. It has no problem towing 2 divers in full technical equipment
- The weight is not too bad on it & I like the carry strap, but I can not carry it when I'm in doubles, just too much for me.
- The light option is cool. I have not used the scooter at night or in a cave, yet, so I don't know how well it really works, but I've had others that said it made me very easy to identify, when I used it during the daytime.
- I personally like the handle, but wish the "T" was a little longer on the left, as I like to switch hands to relieve fatigue. Its adequate, but kind of small for my left hand.
- I like the screw on hull easy to put on & align.
- it is a very quiet scooter, at least compared to my friends' Makos. I can sneak up on them
-Hollis took care of my problem light quickly & at no cost to me. Good customer service
Cons:
- Scratches easy- had mine since June Used it only about 30 times in a quarry, so far, & it looks like I've beat it up in a cave. No compromise of the hull, just cosmetic
- The negative buoyancy in freshwater. It may be near neutral in salt water, I don't know. I recently e-mailed Hollis about it & they replied that they have never realized this & that they were going to look into it & see if lighter, molded weights can be made for fresh water that would not sacrifice the balance. I would like the scooter to only be barely negative when not in use
-To get good control of the scooter ((but then I do not have very strong wrists), it seems I must keep the tow rope rather short, which puts me more on top of the scooter than it seems I should be for streamlining.
- When screwing the hull on, the turning causes the light to come on & blinds me, if I'm standing over top of it
- The lag time from when I let go of the trigger until the motor quits. May bother some. I've learned to time myself to it.
-Not sure about the trigger lock. Hollis claims this can be used for a "cruise control" to hold your speed, I think it may be something that can get you into trouble quickly & easily.
- The trigger is kind of stiff. Wish it didn't take so much strength to keep it pulled tight. Causes some hand fatigue.

Overall I've been impressed with it. I have yet to run the battery all the way down. I have not used any scooters other than the Mako & this one, so I do not have much to compare it to. It seems to be a scooter that will grow with me in time, as I would like to eventually use it in cave diving, when I reach that level. For now I use it only in open water."

The divers who complain about torque want a straight running scooter for an hour+ (generally in a cave) with little or no hand movement needed. The bigger scooters can be setup to offset torque by shifting weight to the side in their bigger tubes.

Wreck dives, open water divers, basically everyone else appreciates the manuverability in the smaller scooters. If you offset the torque you create a less manuverable scooter since the mass is now offset and it doesn't want to turn evenly.

Back
Top Bottom