What ABOUT THIS SETUP???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I actually think you're pretty close... I see you're getting a ton of people screaming BP wings... Maybe they didn't read your post. You said you goal is to be a divemaster and later an instructor. With that in mind - it is important to have gear that leads itself toward teaching and demonstrating skills.

I would avoid gear that is unconventional compared to the student gear. It's ok to have stuff that is better - just not radically different. For example if teaching, you would not want a Mares Air Trim inflator while all the students have a conventional power inflator hose.

So then on your reg, you have chosen one that goes under your arm - radically different that what everyone you will be teaching has - and requires a different technique for reg recovery.

So while I think the BC is a good choice, I would rethink the reg... Of course I'd rethink where to get it too... :eyebrow: But I might be a bit biased!

If you're even thinking Cavern/Cave setup, like you say, then DON'T rush into this! I've only been diving a year, so far recreational only, doing some wrecks this year and have an interest in Cavern cert. Even as I'm "only" a recreational diver so far, LISTEN to the divers on this board (especially the "tech" divers, cavers, wreckers) I went out and built a custom FredT BP/W setup and with the help of many divers on this board I built what I consider a SUPERIOR rig. I was able to get to where I wanted to be as a safe, efficient diver very quickly by doing LOTS of homework, but it paid off. One of the many benefits of the BP/W is that it is very streamlined, no bulk, extra padding like on a conventional BC. Very modular, you can swap out wings, strap on doubles (if you get into technical diving or just want more redundancy for wrecks, deep dives etc.) If you do cold water and get a dry suit you have several options for integrating weights into the backplate such a "P-weights" and "V-weights". My trim was "dead nuts" after moving the weight over my buoyant lungs where it should be. The LDS tried to put me in a Scubapro Classic real hard (said BP/W is no good for new divers, Bull) Said my face would get pushed forward in the water at the surface unless I dive double steels, BULL! Don't let the LDS steer you in the wrong direction, they have sales motives in mind, get advise from technical divers or a technical resource at an LDS. Same with regs, DON'T skimp here especially considering what type of diving you're thinking of doing. If you decide to build a custom BP/W setup all I can say is FredT on the board answered about 20 PM's from me, total support before, during and after the sale. Speaks for itself. Send him a PM if interested in his stuff.

UFcampben:
I am ready to make my first gear purchase. I am planning to eventually do divemaster/ instructor/etc courses. and i am buying gear accordingly. My plan was to buy a Zeagle Ranger BC, SHerwood Maximus Reg with Minimus octo, and a SHerwood Profile computer.... whole package is gonna cost about $1050. (Leisure Pro prices....from www.scuba.com thanks to there price-match-policy) they are authorized dealers...so that solves that problem....and i have tried out all the gear before. ANY INPUT ON THIS SETUP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. i will be doing warm water dives....with a possibility of cave/cavern diving later on. Please give any input you guys/girls have. thanks a bunch.

you may be pushed to use equipment during your classes that your store sells. Also - as a DM you will get pretty good discounts on equipment. When I was six months in - I wanted to be an DM and instructor also until I realized I was more interested in back-room operations.

scubatoys:
I actually think you're pretty close... I see you're getting a ton of people screaming BP wings... Maybe they didn't read your post. You said you goal is to be a divemaster and later an instructor. With that in mind - it is important to have gear that leads itself toward teaching and demonstrating skills.

ScubaToys has a good point, my instructor has BOTH a technical rig and a training setup. If your goal is Instructor now and Caving a few years off then maybe a conventional BC might be the way to go. You could still get the reg you want for Caving now but just use a standard hose setup for classes.

Back
Top Bottom