What about SVP Cameras - Any Good

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Looks like a new camera company: Silicon Valley Peripherals: link

Any good? They claim up to 12 MP, but by interpolation. What is the difference?

Don't know about the lens - I've heard that's more important...??

Some of the Ebay listing for this brand claim 8xOptical Zoom, but on exam it looks like a lot of the models are really Digital zoom - and I know there's a big difference in those. :light:

This model seems is rated 8PM, actually seems to shoot 6MP and actually has 3xOptical Zoom.

Any good? They claim up to 12 MP, but by interpolation. What is the difference?

The bad news:
http://www.phototakers.com/forum/ftopic28682.html

And more problems: http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7593-0.html?forumID=58&threadID=48393&messageID=1241963

Interpolation means that software fills in the spaces between the pixels by averaging from adjacent pixels. It's used to print larger images than the size of your original.

It makes the resolution more impressive for people they're trying to scam.

Don't do it DD...:)

sjspeck:
The bad news:
http://www.phototakers.com/forum/ftopic28682.html

And more problems: http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7593-0.html?forumID=58&threadID=48393&messageID=1241963

Interpolation means that software fills in the spaces between the pixels by averaging from adjacent pixels. It's used to print larger images than the size of your original.

It makes the resolution more impressive for people they're trying to scam.

Don't do it DD...:)
I kinda thot that's what Interpolation meant. Thanks.

Yeah when something seems too good to be true, it probly is - but there are bargains to be sought, nonetheless. It'd been a small loss if I'd bought one of these cheap, as I'm not about to pay the Buy Now prices on one of those.

Don't waste your money - even if the scam bit Don pointed out wasn't true these cameras are not nearly as good as they appear.

Interpolation is just a way of mathmatically enlarging the image. Overall this actually decreases image quality as it introduces artifacts that wouldn't be there if you just use the cameras raw resolution. So even if it interpolates to 12MP, the picture is no better (and probably worse) then what comes off of the chip (probably 3-4MP).

As for the optics, they're not great. The camera does actually have a 3x optical zoom. The digital zoom (which a lot of major manufaturers also have) is a gimmic - just more interpolation. I'd just turn this feature off - you can get the same effect (or better) by cropping the image on your computer, and resizing it for printing then.

You're better off saving your money and going for a name-brand camera (canon, nikon, and olympus being the ones I would recommed). Although they cost more you'll be much more staisified with the resulting pictures. Few other things:

1) Larger diameter lens = more light-gathering power = better in low-light conditions. So if you're planning on using this for diving photo's you'll probably want to look for a camera with a larger lens.

2) Optical zoom is the only useful form of zoom. And more is always better. But don't forget about wide-angle; its just as important to have a good wide-angle (more important if you take a lot of scenery pics) as is zoom.

3) Power consumption can be a major issue - particularily on trips where access to power may be limited. Look for cameras which have power-saving options (like being able to turn off the LCD screen). Likewise, cameras which work off of 'AA' batteries are also good for the traveler - these batteries are available everywhere, you can use the new rechargables (nickel metal hydride) - which last forever, and they (normal AA's and NiMH rechargables) are much cheaper then buying additional camera-specific lithium batteries.

4) Any time you buy a camera there's going to be trade-offs. Smaller, pocket-sized cameras are great for traveling - they're small, fit almost anywhere, and are "descrete" should you want to take photo's where its not allowed. But they tend to have lower zoom, smaller lenses (poorer low-light preformance), and weak flashes. Larger cameras tend to not have these issues, but are less convenient for travel, tend to use more power, are (generally) more expensive, and tend to attract thiefs.

5) The resolution (megapixels) of a camera are not the only feature you need to worry about. In fact, its a minor consideration. The quality of the optics, the quality of the CCD, the power of the zoom, how wide the "wide-angle" is, the build quality of the camera are all far more important then the megapixels.

To put this into perspective, I have both a canon G3 (4 megapixel, large lens, 4x zoom) and an olympus somehting-or-other (6 megapixel). Although the size of the image is larger coming out of the olympus, the G3 still kicks it's ***** in terms of photo quality - better low-light performance, crisper images with cleaner edges, much wider field of view in the wide-angle end of zoom, more zoom, etc. So even though the olympus has bigger megapixels I still turn to the canon when I need quality photo's. The olympus is great if I need something small.

One last comment on megapixels. About the only thing this determines, with any degree of certanty, is how large you can print an image until it appears pixelated (boxy). As a general rule you want 200dots/inch for a quality print, although you can drop that to ~150dpi if you need. This means that with a 4MP camera you can print upto 12" wide (200dpi) or 15" wide (150dpi). At 8MP this doubles, etc, etc, etc. Do you really plan on printing up stuff that size? Not to mention that the optics tend to be the limiting factor - even in 3-4MP cameras.

For some real good reviews, plus the ability to do side-by-side comparisons, check out: www.dpreview.com

No association. Just a very happy customer who's used it every time I've bought a camera - and they've never done me wrong.

Bryan

Interpolation is just a way of mathmatically enlarging the image. Overall this actually decreases image quality as it introduces artifacts that wouldn't be there if you just use the cameras raw resolution. So even if it interpolates to 12MP, the picture is no better (and probably worse) then what comes off of the chip (probably 3-4MP).
Yeah, I'd rather do that on my computer with Microsoft Resizer and Elements PS anyway, make sure I like the changes.

As for the optics, they're not great. The camera does actually have a 3x optical zoom. The digital zoom (which a lot of major manufaturers also have) is a gimmic - just more interpolation. I'd just turn this feature off - you can get the same effect (or better) by cropping the image on your computer, and resizing it for printing then.
Yep, I thot the Optical zoom might concentrate on the area targeted a be a little better than cropping later, but I know that Optical is not nearly as good as Digital zoom. I've seen the Sellers listing this brand with 8xDigital when many models are only Optical zoom.

You're better off saving your money and going for a name-brand camera (canon, nikon, and olympus being the ones I would recommed). Although they cost more you'll be much more staisified with the resulting pictures. Few other things:
Yeah, I don't really need a hot camera, just out for bargains.

Too good to be true cuz it aint...!!

thanks!

Back
Top Bottom