What About A 3-Buddy Group?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove almost exclusively with hubby and friend as a three when I was first certifid. the trick istoplan the dive and gameplan how the buddy team will stay together. Will one person lead and the other two buddy up and follow? if you are the most experienced I would suggest the other two swim as a pair and lead and you follow so you can keep a better eye on them.. pick a leader, discuss how to stay together, what to do if you are separated and potential emergency procedures as well (just like diving as two)

have a good time

if you are the most experienced I would suggest the other two swim as a pair and lead and you follow so you can keep a better eye on them.

I really don't like this formation at all, if you intend to keep a cohesive team. It works fine if the person in the rear is a DM or is otherwise intending upon and comfortable with diving essentially solo; but the two in front will have trouble keeping any kind of contact with the one behind. If the one behind has a problem, he's pretty much on his own.

The best, and most functional formation is wing-on-wing. It's to be preferred, unless you are diving along a wall-like structure. In that case, single file, headed into the wall, and with very, very frequent visual checks, is the only way for everyone to have fun AND the team to stay together.

The two formations I have used the most is dive leader up front with the two others behind and the side by side. There is a time and place for each however, I prefer the first one as the leader is free to go up, down and change direction without bumping into anybody and remains in plain sight of the other two divers at all time. If something happens to him or her, the other two will see it. If something happen to one of the two remaining diver, buddy is there and one of the inherent responsibility is not only take care of the diver in need but to also get the attention of the dive leader with light or noise maker so he can stop and remains close to the group. As with anything else, the group has to be disciplined. The wingpersons (two and three) have to stick with the leader as that person should be diving the plan and setting the pace of the dive (taking into consideration the environment and the capability of each diver. It is very easy, the leader....lead and the followers...follow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom