What a Hole!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a question for all DIYers. I know to some this might seem to be a stupid question. I know it would be easier to buy a saw kit, but right now I can not afford to get one. I will get one as soon as I can.

Anyways, back to my question. How can I cut a 3" to 5" circle out of 1/4" lexan. I do not have access to any machine equipment. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

murphdivers286:
I have a question for all DIYers. I know to some this might seem to be a stupid question. I know it would be easier to buy a saw kit, but right now I can not afford to get one. I will get one as soon as I can.

Anyways, back to my question. How can I cut a 3" to 5" circle out of 1/4" lexan. I do not have access to any machine equipment. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
What tools do you have to work with?

murphdivers286:

Without knowing what you have for tools....
I assume you want the hole, not the disc that is being removed

Rough it out with a reciprocating saw or keyhole saw then file or drum sand it to size.

Make an oversized pattern and zing it out with a router.

Find a friend with a machine shop.

Drill a series of small holes all the way around, cut the webbing with a keyhole saw the file/sand clean.

Go buy the hole saw, you don't need to buy the whole set.

Pete

I have a cordless drill, a few different size bits up to 1/2", a dremel tool. I want the discs out of the hole for a reel.

You can use a jigsaw/scrollsaw/bandsaw with a medium tooth at a speed low enough to prevent melting. Drill a hole with an ordinary steel drill bit in the off-cut for a starting point for the blade and work outward to the desired line of cut. You can finish the edges with sandpaper (dremel tool, etc.)

Wiping the edges with a solvent like Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) or Dimethyl Ketone will re-seal any micro-cracks that might expand later. Do so with caution, as any MEK that spills on the finished product will eat into it and ruin the finish.

Get a friend with a band saw to do it.

murphdivers286:
I have a cordless drill, a few different size bits up to 1/2", a dremel tool. I want the discs out of the hole for a reel.

Use a dremel tool with a Roto-Zip (like a tiny router bit, for cutting shapes) bit and a circle cutter attachment (just a string or metal bar to keep the tool equidistant from the center hole while you move around it.

Terry

take it to a "glass shop" and have them cut it for you .... it will only cost a few bucks and they have a better chance of not screwing it up !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom