Whales

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

santy2506

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
The Humpback whales are back in Hawaii. Can't wait to see more as they start arriving.

Endangered humpback whales are protected in Hawai'i. Federal regulations prohibit approaching within 100 yards of whales when on the water, and 1,000 feet when operating an aircraft. These and other regulations apply to all ocean users, including vessel operators, kayakers, paddle boarders, windsurfers, swimmers and divers throughout the Hawaiian Islands.

If you come across an injured or entangled marine mammal, please maintain the required safe distance and call the NOAA Marine Mammal Hotline at 1-888-256-9840 immediately, or the U.S. Coast Guard on channel 16.

If reporting a suspected approach zone violation, please call the NOAA Fisheries Enforcement Hotline at 1-800-853-1964.

Yeah...real early. Usually they arrive late October. I guess they couldn't resist the Hawaiian waters.

Wow, earlier and earlier! Can't wait to dive in both November and December and enjoy the whales above and below the water (well, at least the singing below).

Seaquest rafting radioed a young humpback outside of Honaunau two days ago in Kona. That's the earliest I recall of hearing of one on this island.

The same day as that sighting, I saw what I thought was the tail of an adult humpback on the North Shore of Oahu. I figured it was too early so I thought it was just my imagination, but after hearing the news report it might really have been a whale.

The same day as that sighting, I saw what I thought was the tail of an adult humpback on the North Shore of Oahu. I figured it was too early so I thought it was just my imagination, but after hearing the news report it might really have been a whale.

Yeah, I saw one ( I thought) from shore off of Waikiki...but I thought the same thing. It looked small because of the distance...and I only got a look for like half of a second, so I assumed it was a dolphin.

Back
Top Bottom