Whale shark sighting 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can't wait!! Well be out there with you guys next year.

Can't wait!! Well be out there with you guys next year.
We are looking forward to your visit. Note that the best months for whale sharks are April and May although for this year, we have "promised" Downing he will see whale sharks in June.
Regards
Ralph

We are looking forward to your visit. Note that the best months for whale sharks are April and May although for this year, we have "promised" Downing he will see whale sharks in June.
Regards
Ralph

21 days tick tick tick

Today Friday May 11 was a very good whale shark diving day! We had three boats out - two with divers and one with snorkelers. On the first dive, the divers were at 70 feet and saw two whale sharks at 80 to 90 feet (about 10 to 15 feet away). One was estimated to be 20 to 25 feet and one was over 30 feet. During the surface interval snorkeling inside the reef they saw lots of reef fish and barracuda plus saw eight squid! On the second dive, they saw a bull shark, 2 balck tip sharks, lots of snapper at 80 to 90 feet depth and saw a really big one very very deep. At the end of the dive, a whale shark came to less than 15 feet from the surface and all of the snorkelers and divers were in the water for a good close up look! It was the one that is missing part of its fin - I think I have a photo of that one somewhere and if I can find it I will put it on our website. And to make the day even more perfect, they saw dolphins on the boat ride home!
Regards
Ralph

---------- Post added May 12th, 2012 at 06:04 PM ----------

TodaSaturday May 12 was not a good whale shark diving day (although like almost every other day here, it was a great diving and snorkelling day). We only had one boat out (people coming in from the US, Canada, etc tend to arrive and depart on the weekends so we only had one boat out today.
Regards
Ralph

Glad to hear that whale sharks are being sighted. My wife and I leave for Placencia this Saturday, June 2nd. Have 2 Whale Shark Dives and 2 Reef Dives scheduled. Think I might also take my first night dive.Full moon and Total Lunar Eclipse on Monday, June 4th.

Are you diving with Splash? If so, I'll see you on the boat.

I'm also due to arrive in Placencia Saturday and will be diving with Splash for three weeks. Can't wait!

Welcome to SB, btw.

Are you diving with Splash? If so, I'll see you on the boat.

I'm also due to arrive in Placencia Saturday and will be diving with Splash for three weeks. Can't wait!

Welcome to SB, btw.

Staying at Robert's Grove and using their dive boat. Doing a lot of other things than just diving, but the Whale Shark Dives are the main reason we're going.

Well, you're going to the right place if you're planning to do more than just diving. Placencia is a great jumping off point for trekking through the jungle, touring Mayan ruins and visiting local villages untouched by tourism, especially if you head for the Toledo District. The drive up and down the Hummingbird Highway to the Cayo District is beyond cool. And San Ignacio is well worth checking out.

Regardless of what you do, you'll have a great time.

As far as the elusive WS, you probably already know the prime "season" is in April and May. Last June we did four tanks over two days without success, but there's always next time. I'll be out there chasing them again when the fishermen give the green light. Otherwise, I'll be in and out of the water diving and running around the countryside again.

Hey Ralph I am going to be in Placencia and would like to dive June 5-7, or whenever day would work for whale sharks. I tried going to website but no response, let me know if u have room
Chad

Back
Top Bottom