Whale Shark probability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You question is like asking if it'll be sunny 6 month and three days 4 hours and 13 minutes from now? I agree with CCD...just go and enjoy regardless of expectations!

Placencia is a great little village. You should be able to assuage any disappointment with the right attitude. Will you be doing any land based activities whilst you are there?

You question is like asking if it'll be sunny 6 month and three days 4 hours and 13 minutes from now? I agree with CCD...just go and enjoy regardless of expectations!

Nope. It's like asking if it's usually sunny most days in july at a specific place.

==> Ignore

LMAO...If you spend a bunch of money on a Corvette and get a Chevette, you got ripped off, not disappointed. Your analogy, while making you feel good about how you approach life, does not correlate to your dive trip dilemna even slightly.

But I have this very distinct feeling that taking the time and effort to explain it to you, will merely open the door for more defensive BS from you.

BTW, keep your freaking goat and your "real world"...we don't want it here in Utopia!!! I can see it's made you such a happy, accepting, easy going and calm person....LMAO!

==> Ignore. Gosh I love that list!!!

Placencia is a great little village. You should be able to assuage any disappointment with the right attitude. Will you be doing any land based activities whilst you are there?

Yeah, that's what I thought. I wanted to head there with my head in the right place. Switch from a whale shark trip to a diving trip where I might see whale sharks. I'm staying a few extra days and am also looking forward to another of my bucket list things (though not diving).

I want to see some Mayan ruins. Also, the Splash package includes a trip up the Monkey River through the jungle. All in all it should be terrific knowing what to expect. If I went expecting to almost certainly see whale sharks I'd be setting myself up. Knowing ahead makes sense to me, especially given past experience.

Had I known what to expect from my ex-dive club on GC, I'd have rented my own car and had a blast. Had I known what Roatan/Coco View was really like I'd have gone elsewhere. Live and learn.

One thing that is totally cool is that my apartment is on an island. I have to row a skiff 80' across the canal to the mainland and then I can walk into the village. How cool is that?

Sounds wonderful. I agree that Placencia is a great place. The other dives that Splash offers are also good. Not that you're going to see fish that you wouldn't see in Cozumel or Bonaire, but you get some great hot lunches on beautiful islands during your surface interval.

dlofting, my mouth watered just like that!! So fine a product!

I think if I don't watch myself, I might come home heavier than when I left. LOL

My local diving has regular whale shark sightings. Yet over the last 6 years they remain unpredictable. We’ve had them out of season, none in season, some years it’s a famine and others they’re as common as muck

People cleverer than I have tried to find trends but none so far. We know there is a nursery “nearby” and we know that there is an aggregation each year near the oil rigs (out of bounds). But that’s it

My point is that like mola’s it can be hard to be in exactly the right bit of ocean at the same time. But when you are.... well you’ll never forget your 1st whale shark in the wild

@Kharon we too have planned a trip to dive with Splash next April (19th - 28th). We set up this time based on having the opportunity to see some whale sharks as well but am sure we will have a great time and dives even if we do not. Hope to see you there.

Hello,
I see that you decided to NOT go to Mexico to see the whale sharks but the simple fact is Mexico is the only place in North and Central America where whale sharks are 100% guaranteed. I have run tours in La Paz for three seasons now and we have never been skunked yet. The east side of Mexico does typically have clearer water and more whale sharks but significantly more tourists. La Paz has overall fewer whale sharks but much more intimate encounters.

Fact - The visibility in La Paz can be lower but it is affected by tides and the amount of plankton in the water. You can get visibility up to 60-70ft in the whale shark zone in the morning and than 10 ft visibility in the afternoon. Tours are running at about $70usd (groups of 4-6) for roughly 2 hours with the whale sharks and a private boat for about $200usd.

I have travelled the globe working in the diving industry, take it from me, Mexico is the place to go for whale sharks...

October/November visibility for diving in La Paz reaches 100ft+ so that is prob the best time to visit La Paz if you want to do both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom