WHALE SHARK, KEY LARGO, tuesday, 12/18/15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I believe nearly everyone in the upper keys swam this animal but myself. I heard the animal hung around the entire day. even observed @ molasses reef during a night dive with RR. for more photos one can visit nearly every upper keys dive operators facebook site's,,,,,,,,,,,rainbow reef, ocean divers, horizion, florida keys dive center, sea dwellers all have numerous pics,,,,,

Whale shark spends the day diving the Duane off Key Largo | Diving | KeysNet

reefman
key largo

Nice to see some snorkeler felt compelled to grab it by the dorsal fin.....

Are you offended?

I see it as no worse than the photographer that gets up in an octopuses grill to get a good shot.

I'm sure the 40,000 lb whale shark is fine.

I see it as no worse than the photographer that gets up in an octopuses grill to get a good shot.

I'm sure the 40,000 lb whale shark is fine.

So, I guess that is one major difference between me and you.

I suppose so.

I think the issue of the fin rider is interesting There can be a wide range of interactions with animals that just do not harm them. Lord knows, I have had enough manatees come up to be petted, and I have touched sharks, groupers, and other critters that approached. However, even though my actions do no harm by any objective standard, they might cause the animal to change its behavior by leaving the scene. This is especially true if multiple people want to interact as opposed to observe (we tend to forget the principle of cumulative impact). So, even though a 1 microgram no-see-up cannot "hurt" me, if enough of them "interact" with me I will leave the area, which would ruin it for all the other no see ums that want to see me. Same here: the 40,000 pound whale is fine, but there was a chance the fin rider might have ruined things for other people who wanted to see it. Didn't happen this time, but it doesn't mean it's not a valid concern.

I do not adhere to any hard and fast rule except for one, I do not switch from observation to an interaction unless the animal approaches me and the circumstances suggest that an interaction would not be an irritation to the animal. I do not chase or otherwise initiate the approach. Yes, it's a judgment call and might vary from person to person. Just do the best I can, but I don't believe in depriving myself of using my sense of touch as an absolute rule.

that's very cool...saw one in ft. lauderdale a few years back.....great experience no doubt.

Question to which I do not know the answer. Many fish have a layer of slime which is how they protect themselves from bacteria and fungus. If the slime is disturbed through handling they can get seriously ill a few days later from the infection.

Does this apply to whale sharks?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom