Whale encounter this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

biz_nate

Contributor
Reaction score
A few of us were on the Silver Prince this weekend, heading to Carmel for a couple of dives. We spotted a group of approaching humpbacks, and killed the engines as they approached.

One of them apparently took an interest in the boat, as it spent the next 10 minutes or so breaching right off the deck, and sticking its head up within reaching distance. Seriously, we could feel the spray when it breathed out.

I have a list of encounters I'd like to actualize in my diving career; I never put this on the list, as I never even imagined it.

Sometime 5-10 minutes into the enounter, I picked my jaw up from the floor and realized that the whole time I'd had a phone in my pocket that can take video. I pulled it out and started recording. I only managed to get a few short clips; here's the best of the group (uploaded to Youtube by my g/f minutes after the encounter (and my subsequent email to her)).
YouTube - video-2010-07-10-10-38-22.3gp

Oh yeah, and the diving was pretty good too.

-Ben

And I was suppose to be on that charter.... Mainak!!!!

What's there to see Mike, it is a big fat animal which just swims around and sometime sprays water on you :)

Dude that's Awesome!!! Don't you just love Monterey? :)
Man, the right place/right time experiences out here are amazing.

What's there to see Mike, it is a big fat animal which just swims around and sometime sprays water on you :)
Yeah- and they smell like fish!

Oh yeah, and the diving was pretty good too.

-Ben

Who cares about the diving (joking)......that was awesome. What you experienced there is definitely one of my bucketlist things......always has been. What an awesome experience for you....thanks for sharing.

That's awesome Ben! Definitely one on my list to experience...I always seem to not be on the boat the day it happens. :depressed:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom