Wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepbluegirlca:
when you say "skin" are you talking about another "layer"? I wear my two 7mm Bare right over my bathing suit.
Do you know when you are going to break them in? I'm checking the Bare out over here in Jersey at LDS and I REALLY want to know how good they are in cold water.

If anyone knows of a great place in Jersey or NY that does alterations on wetsuits PLEASE post or PM me. I'm having a devil of a time finding 27.5 inch inseam length. Everything I try on is long and tends to bunch at the ankle. (Even the "shorter" styles...)

I've been in water of 51 F with a 7mm Bare full-lenth and my 7mm hooded-shorty over it and been just fine. I will be diving a little earlier this spring so the water will be in the 40's somewhere but between my exposure suit and eating lots of carbs a few hours prior (stoke the furnace so to speak LOL) I'm not really worried about it. It is a very good suit!! imho.
:)

Mama Mynet:
Do you know when you are going to break them in? I'm checking the Bare out over here in Jersey at LDS and I REALLY want to know how good they are in cold water.

If anyone knows of a great place in Jersey or NY that does alterations on wetsuits PLEASE post or PM me. I'm having a devil of a time finding 27.5 inch inseam length. Everything I try on is long and tends to bunch at the ankle. (Even the "shorter" styles...)

deepbluegirlca:
I've been in water of 51 F with a 7mm Bare full-lenth and my 7mm hooded-shorty over it and been just fine. I will be diving a little earlier this spring so the water will be in the 40's somewhere but between my exposure suit and eating lots of carbs a few hours prior (stoke the furnace so to speak LOL) I'm not really worried about it. It is a very good suit!! imho.
:)
That is good to know! I want to/have to start diving earlier inthe spring. Taking the AOW test last week of April. I want to get at least a dozen dives before I do my cert. And that'll mean definitely COOOLD (Hell I'm cold if it's under 75 degrees outside) Now what kind of gloves do you use? and boots? Do you know of anyplace that has small size boots? or 1/2 sizes?

Yup - that'll be cold, no if's and's or but's!!
I have thick gloves (5mm I think) but not the mitts - I find those too awkward. My booties are Bare also - I don't have the box but they are 5mm or 7mm. Like it or not you're tootsies and fingies are going to remind you that you are not under a duvet but my fingers hurt when I go out in the winter (from the cold) and they never get that way when diving in cold water. I've heard you can put a "hot-shot" type pouch in the small of your back but I was worried that if it got too hot and uncomfortable I would be stuck as you can't fix it once you're at depth.

scubalaurel:
Hey all,

This is my first time in this forum. Glad there is a place for this. I have been diving for a little over four years now. I have been diving in a 6 5 4 seaquest wetsuit, which I LOVE. :07: However, I have already gone through 4 of them. They fit perfectly, but compress within 50 dives and by the time I get to 100 or so in it, I am freezing after only 15-20 minutes. It's too esxpensive for my diving style.

Anyway, I ventured into the road of adventure and want to try a different brand. I tried a BARE and was hopeful that the variety of sizes would = a good fit. When I tried the one that corresponded to my measurements, it was way too big in the chest (which is shocking and surprising!).

Any advice for different brands of wetsuit? :06:
Hi,
I was thinking of buying the "Polar" that marino wool sounds nice. I have never had the problems you describe or have I ever heard of suits doing that. Are you very thin or tall? I have an O'neil polarfleece but, I dive mostly warm water & it is only a 3ml. Now that I am not living in FL, my son is bugging me to dive the Cold Pacific thus the warmer suit. Thanks for the statement regarding how it feels to dive in a drysuit, I was wondering what is was like. I hope you find a suit that behaves. I persolally like a front zip but, hard to find.
Regards, Valerie

deepbluegirlca:
when you say "skin" are you talking about another "layer"? I wear my two 7mm Bare right over my bathing suit.

Yes, I have a lycra skin. I usually wear it as a first layer. I also used it a couple of times in La Paz Mx alone, as my 7mm was too much wetsuit for that water temp.

Mama Mynet:

I picked it up this past Saturday. Hoping to use it this Sat at the beach, then a couple of boat dives on Sunday. I'll let you know.

I wear a set of booty sock, like those www divers do with closed heel fins, under my booties. My feet used to always get numb after an hour or so, but with the double layer, it rarely happens. Also, it takes up that extra room when you really need a half size bootie.

Back
Top Bottom