Wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Smitty

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a wetsuit for cold water - say 50-60 degrees (If anyone is familar with the area, I dive regularly at Dutch Springs in PA and off the NJ coast). I am not prepared to invest the money in a dry suit although I understand that this is probably my best option.

I would like to know other diver's opinions on purchasing a Henderson 7/5mm Gold Core jump suit for these enviornments. Will it be enough? Will I need to supplement it with a vest? If The 7/5mm is not enough would a two piece Gold Core 5mm suffice? As you can see I am trying to stay warm enough without the bulk of a two piece 7mm suit. Is the 14mm through the torso area really necessary?

Thanks for your advice!

Smitty,

Q: "Is the 14mm through the torso area really necessary?"

That really depends on you individually (size, weight, etc.etc). Do you have the opportunity to rent wetsuits of different thickness before you decide to buy? Take a rental of each into the temp of water you are concerned about. You'll find out fairly quickly if the 5ml suits are sufficient.

Cheers

Oh, by the way, welcome to the boards....you should get plenty of good info on the suit you are considering.

I started diving at Dutch Springs in a Henderson Custom 7mm Farmer John / Shorty wet suit and found that I was overheated before I got into the 40-50 degree water and was nauseous the whole time I was diving there.... the 14mm coverage from mid thigh to chest was overkill and I use that suit now to ice dive with. I purchased a custom Body Glove "Uni-Suit" that is continuous 7mm all over and has an attached hood, and use that suit to dive every dive in the atlantic and Dutch Springs without problem.

Also understand that I ma one of those "Hot" divers and carry some of my own insulation as well (code for FAT). It tends to be presonal preference as far as comfort. You can always rent a Farmer John / Shorty combo from a local dealer or see if you can Demo one on a day that they shop is checking people out up there.

I hope this helped a bit between my pointless ramblings...

I have been diving at Dutch Springs and always used a full 7mm suit. I was never overheated while in the water. The last time I was there I had a new Henderson Gold Core 7mm suit. I found the suit to be no warmer or colder than other suits, but the suit was more comfortable and ease of getting in and out of the suit was phenomenal.

I am now a real fan of the Henderson Gold Core line.

I suggest renting a couple different thickness suits to gauge what keeps your temperature right, then purchase the Henderson Gold Core in that thickness.

:tree:

You should be fine with a 7mm full suit for those temps. I dive a 2pc 6m suit for 47-49 degree water and seem to be fine so I imagine that a 7mm suit for 50-60 degree water should alright if you have a good tolerance for cold water. If your a skinny bean pole than I would definitly get a thicker suit but if you have some padding to spare around the belly (love handles) than you should be fine with a full 7mm suit. Rent a suit first before you buy though and then make up your mind.

Dive Safe...

Aardal
:peace:

I dive dutch springs and NY coast also.
I am with diverccrn, I find I am overheating in 7 mil henderson farmer john. The trouble with renting before buying is that the rentals are so worn out, they are not a good example of that suit new.
regards,
Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom