Wetsuits... turns out, not so bad!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

np251

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ive been a regular, if not exactly prolific, Monterey diver for the past several years, starting off using a drysuit and BP/W set-up- since that’s what I used back home in Scotland. Id look at all the wetsuit wearing divers and tell myself that there was no way I was getting into that water without my drysuit and warm undies. I told this to myself even though I really knew deep down inside that my poorly fitting drysuit with its too big feet and its slow valve just wasn’t getting the job done. There was no way I was getting in that water with a wetsuit. No way.

This past weekend, I just did the best series of dives in my Monterey career, effortless hour-long pleasure dives that I just couldn’t get enough of. We went out and back to metridium fields along the pipe twice, hung out at the kelp forests, explored the wall. Just hovering still (ish) over a tube anenome, watching a rainbow nudi stalk the worm patch. All in a 7mm wetsuit and 3mm hooded vest.

About 6 weeks ago I got back from a day of diving thoroughly depressed after another wet, cold, overly time-consuming drysuit dive. This time it was the boots. I had been looking forward to Essentials but had to cancel due to other unrelated matters and I was ready to throw it all in until tax rebate 2011-when I could get myself a real drysuit. On the ride home, pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I just wasn’t going to get a good season of diving done with my current suit and wist-fully daydreaming about a TLS-350.

However, turns out that was also the day my girlfriend decided she wanted to take the plunge and book her open water class, leaving me in the position of justifying why I was about to quit. She pointed out that SHE would be wetsuit diving in Monterey and loads of other people dive Monterey in wetsuits. She had a point, and I mulled it over or a couple of days, thinking ‘ I guess one or two cold dives are better than none’. Besides, I couldn’t really espouse the virtues of how awesome Monterey was for diving and then not dive. Plus, leveling the playing field by getting into a wetsuit only seemed like the chivalrous thing to do. Then I realized that I couldn’t even remember the last dive I had that I really fully enjoyed, since my DS was leaving me cold, tired and sore after every diving day. By the middle of the next week, I was looking for wetsuits for the two of us and got some pretty amazing deals.

This past weekend, she had her open water class (passed with flying colours) and I managed to join her for some diving on Sunday afternoon and Monday. The dives, like I mentioned, where just fantastic. Not once during the entire series of dives did I feel even remotely less than warm. Water temp along the pipes and at metridium fields was 51oF- we had a 50 mins dive and were both warm throughout. Certainly a lot warmer than ive been in the 30 or so dives previous when my DS started its issues. I was able to drop a lot of weight- 20 pounds less than in my DS- making the walk up and down the beach far more manageable. I can don my rig and reach my valve by myself- my restrictive DS made it a struggle- but now im kitted up in 10 minutes compared to the 30-40 it took before. The whole thing is just far more enjoyable.

I guess I got sucked into thinking that ‘the equipment made the dive’ and going without a drysuit was just asking for a series of cold, un-enjoyable, near-hypothermic chores instead of the fantastic, stress-free adventures I actually got. Frankly, I just didn’t feel like diving anymore. Now, I am really excited to be getting out there and exploring these underwater treasures that are our local sites, like I should have been doing a lot more often this past year. Now, armed with my brand new buddy and my toasty wetsuit- i feel re-invigorated!!

See you out there soon

Good deal. Glad to hear that you're reinvigorated to dive.

My advice is to marry the girl, as she sounds great and then register for quality drysuits as wedding gifts.

She has a big smile on her face after reading that...

... and you may just have sealed the deal for me. Drysuits as WEDDING gifts? I had NO IDEA!!!
:D

Definitely a good idea. :D

My advice is to marry the girl, as she sounds great and then register for quality drysuits as wedding gifts.

She has a big smile on her face after reading that...

... and you may just have sealed the deal for me. Drysuits as WEDDING gifts? I had NO IDEA!!!
:D

You can buy gift certificates at Any Water Sports that you can add up for those type of purchases :)

Glad to hear you had fun diving in a wetsuit.... If it works for you go for it! There's plenty of sights to see and as long as you are comfortable that's all that matters.

Ben

You just can't argue with good advice...

+1

Glad that you were able to make it out and have a couple of fantastic days of diving. 50 minute dive in 51 degree water, and still being warm is quite nice.

Please congratulate your GF on OW as well!

Sounds great.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

I had a few deep and pithy philosophical remarks, but now I've forgotten them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom