Wetsuits shrink or stretch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it is NITROGEN BLOWN NEOPRENE like Rubatex G32, it does not change either way at all. Any neoprene that is not nitrogen blown, will shrink as it ages. I marked the spine of a wetsuit with "one meter" a long time ago, and year after year, that meter grew shorter. Objective proof of what Rubatex says about it.

None of them will "expand" any worth nothing, although it is easier to move around in them when you're fully lubricated in the water and they've twisted into place.

Unlike all my other articles of clothing the wetsuit does not seem to shrink with time.

They get less flexible and thiner, all of them just depending on the timescale and use.

They may be getting tighter.....but I don't think they're shrinking :)

Actually, i haven’t bought the 7mm wetsuit yet, but wondering if i have to buy a size up, since it will shrink, or a bit snug, because it will stretch.

My observation:

Depends on use and storage. I know unused they get smaller and stiffer. Used they get bigger and thinner (more flexible).

My observation:

Depends on use and storage. I know unused they get smaller and stiffer. Used they get bigger and thinner (more flexible).
Thank you for this. I know i can’t use 7mil except for a couple summer months, so mine would go through periods of long storage, and dry out smaller.

Back
Top Bottom