Wetsuits and tall skinny guys.....Possible?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iflyprops

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello All,

After a few years absence in the sport I am back! Now its time to get a little more serious than I was, I need a wetsuit and a bc. I think I have decided on the BC, a Zeagle Escape with the ripcord dumping system. Now here's my problem: I am 6' 6" 175lb...yeah I know I am skinny! I am having a few problems finding a full length wetsuit for spring diving and such around Florida...if your tall they assume you're a little wider than I am. I was thinking around a 3mm for the springs and I could use it down in the keys when it cools off a little also, any suggestions?

Thanks!
Adam

Hi there I am THE FROG and I know where you can get a suit for a perfect fit. All you have to do is contact Carolyn at www.liquidfit.com or call her at 1-800-785-8362.

She made may suit costom made and it is like putting on a glove. also it keeps you really warm. I should know because I dove in Lake Superior and i was really warm. You also get to pick your colores, zipers on arms and legs, fits like a glove. It is really neat you should call her she is very nice.

THE FROG. :doctor:

Thanks for the reply. The two lds's that I visited today said they would have no problem fitting me in a stock wetsuit. One shop recommended BARE and the other Henderson. Any thoughts on the two? Also do you think 3mm would be thick enough for the average Florida dives such as the keys and springs (With a hood also)? Ahh, one more mind draining question, any thoughts on the titanium liners(?) that henderson and the other manufacturers advertise...is it worth it?

Thank You!
Adam

Adam,

I remember 6'6'' 175 (high school), now I do the 6'6'' 250 and have the fitting problem. Even I can't find the length without giving up the big waist size.

Hook me up with some sites to hit for Henderson and Bare, I am interested in getting my own wesuit. I am tired of having a built in thermocline between my top of my booties and the bottom of my westuit.

As far as 3mm being warm enough, I don't know, we don't do anything less than 7mm on the westcoast and getting cold is the worst thing you can have happen 60 feet down.

I suggest going thicker and sweating a little rather than risk getting cold. But I am new at this scuba stuff.

Talk at ya later,

Scott=-)

Scott,

As soon as I find some good places for us tall guys I'll let you know! The best thing I have found thus far is my lds, they are a henderson dealer and said that if they couldn't fit me it would be rather inexpensive for henderson to add a couple of inches in the legs/arms...

-Adam

I am 6'6 and was 190 lbs and had my wetsuit custom made. It fit like a glove. The only drawback was that it was made by a British Company and had the logo with the name "Beaver Diver" on the arms. When I moved to the States this got a few good laughs from fellow divers.

When traveling I occasionally rent wetsuits and sometimes they fit quite well. Unfortunately I never pay attention to the brand. You should try the suits at your LDS. If you're going to dive in cold water (e.g. US Westcoast or Northeast) a tight (but still comforatable!) fit is critical. If the suit is too loose cold water will accumulate there and that is no fun.

About diving in the Florida Keys: a 3 mm wetsuit is plenty and forget about the hood. In the Keys I usually dive in a 3 mm shorty and occasionally just in swimming trunks.
:shorkel: ScubaRon

iflyprops once bubbled... Thanks for the reply. The two lds's that I visited today said they would have no problem fitting me in a stock wetsuit. One shop recommended BARE and the other Henderson. Any thoughts on the two? Also do you think 3mm would be thick enough for the average Florida dives such as the keys and springs (With a hood also)? Ahh, one more mind draining question, any thoughts on the titanium liners(?) that henderson and the other manufacturers advertise...is it worth it?

Thank You!
Adam
I'm 6' 1" 195 and a Bare XL fits me like a glove. I would imagine an XXL would fit you like a duffel bag.

Don

Seems to be the name coming across the board the most. My LDS does X-cel and I have seen the quality and have heard nothing but good things about it. The only problem is when I look at the sizing chart, I nedd to go to a XXXL for the length, which gives me a 44 inch waist. Me being a 38, I see a problem there.

I don't want to spend an arm and a leg, so I am going to shop til I drop looking for the right stuff. I will get back to you if I find anything for us normal sized people.

Do you guys feel discriminated against? They make all the cool cars for people under 5'11, they make you pay extra for shoes over 12, and the only benefit to being 6'6'', is the girls love it. I guess I can live with it.

=-)

you might want to check into JMJ coustom wetsuits. It's much like liquid fit wetsuits, but uses higher quality neoprene. It will last you longer and will fit better. they take, i believe, 36 different messurements of your body to make them fit (a bit more messurements for females). you can find a review on them on california diving news or check out the JMJ website.

I would recommend Liquid Fit, not only because I LOVE my suit but because of the very superior customer service I received. They use only the very best neoprene and have it in a huge selection of colors and patterns.

Happy shopping

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom