Wetsuits and silicone spray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jswantek

Contributor
Reaction score
I've read a few different things that say occasionally treating a wetsuit with silicone spray helps condition and protect the neoprene. While I have no problem believing that, I would like to know if there are any negatives to this treatment? Any adverse effects to things like suit buoyancy, seal/seam integrity, etc. If anyone can offer some advice, I'd sure love to hear it. Thanks!

Your safe using food grade silicone spray, look at the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for the product and if it says 100% soluble in water, it's safe

Yes, definitely food-grade silicone. I don't want to leave a trail in the water, let alone the ensuing damage. Would there be any other disadvantages?

If you ever need to do any repairs with neoprene cement pre-cleaning will be difficult or maybe impossible depending how much you marinade the suit. For wet-suits in general you're getting way beyond common practice and there will be little experience to guide you here.

Rinse the suit after use, store it in a well ventilated drying space away from sunlight. With frequent diving it will wear out before the material breaks down chemically.

Pete

Just a note ... when asked, DUI said that using water soluble silicone on my drysuit zipper and seals was fine and they replaced the zipper with no problems (not due to silicone use, it was a heavily used rental suit) and I have repaired tears in my wetsuit, even next to the zipper where I sprayed it .. I also use it on the skin-in neck and wrist seals .. I do not spray the whole suit though.
... regular soap and water will remove it completely if you need to patch it

Actually, for a marinade, I prefer to use worchestershire sauce and some diced onion.

I did, however, forget that silicone does like to inhibit the wetsuit repair process, thanks for the reminder.

Ok.. be advised that if you do any of the following, repair to that area with any glue will be next to impossible.

On some of my suits.. the flap behind the zipper will be sticky.. and if you try to zip up the suit by yourself.. it will catch and tear the back... which makes it stick even more.

Silicone does not, by itself, damage rubber or neoprene... but the medium they put it in can...so if you use any, you need to check what solvents they used. (different issue, but the most common are petrolium based and really bad for neoprene)

I spray a Silicone/PTFE material on the zipper/backing... and the issue is gone...one just has to pick the right material to spray.

Just be aware it once done, it will not allow glueing

Good point on the aerosol, I used a pump spray.
Will not allow gluing? ... is that with water soluble silicone?
Reason I ask because I did not have a problem gling a very large tear at the base of back zipper

D_B,

I'm not sure if your talking entirely about the DUI suit or if the back of the suit in your last post is in a neoprene suit. Silicone in general is fairly tenacious and has very high surface energy. With solvents you can probably clean a laminate material to get a good bond. When you talk about neoprene sponge rubber albeit closed cell complete cleaning is sketchy at best. Of course the degree and frequency of application, intensity of use and condition of the material will all contribute to the level of saturation. In the case of a tear in a thick material like 7mm you are exposing some virgin material faces which if not saturated may in fact allow for a good joint.

My point was that silicone application on a wetsuit is not SOP and can make repairs more challenging. As in nearly all things diving nothing is ever absolute.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom