Wetsuit Zipper Keeps Unzipping...How to fix?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

er1n99

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The zipper on my Henderson Hyperstretch wetsuit keeps unzipping in the middle of diving. Any thoughts/products/ideas on how to keep it zipped up?

I wear a rash guard, 5/3 Henderson Hyperstretch Hooded Vest, then the 7/5 wetsuit. This wetsuit is probably 2 years old and has 30+ dives. Probably out of warranty and I can't take it to the LDS to get a new one.

Everyone I have gone diving with can't see how it keeps unzipping in the middle of diving. Yes, the cord is pulled up and velcro-ed over when first putting it on. Imagine that you are hunching your shoulders and rounding your back...this will cause the zipper to unzip.

Often I will bring the cord over the shoulder and try to tie it on to part of my BC, but the wetsuit will still unzip and come down a few inches, letting that chilly SoCal water in.

I've thought of using a safety pin, but I want to be able to get in/out of the wetsuit by myself and I don't really want to keep putting holes in the suit.

Any help would be a appreciated! THanks!

-Erin

The zipper on my Henderson Hyperstretch wetsuit keeps unzipping in the middle of diving. Any thoughts/products/ideas on how to keep it zipped up?

I wear a rash guard, 5/3 Henderson Hyperstretch Hooded Vest, then the 7/5 wetsuit. This wetsuit is probably 2 years old and has 30+ dives. Probably out of warranty and I can't take it to the LDS to get a new one.

Everyone I have gone diving with can't see how it keeps unzipping in the middle of diving. Yes, the cord is pulled up and velcro-ed over when first putting it on. Imagine that you are hunching your shoulders and rounding your back...this will cause the zipper to unzip.

Often I will bring the cord over the shoulder and try to tie it on to part of my BC, but the wetsuit will still unzip and come down a few inches, letting that chilly SoCal water in.

I've thought of using a safety pin, but I want to be able to get in/out of the wetsuit by myself and I don't really want to keep putting holes in the suit.

Any help would be a appreciated! THanks!

-Erin

My guess would be the the suit is one size too small. The added stretch of the Hyperstretch material easily allows for "undersizing". However, when undersized like this, the automatic zipper is a problem.

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

You could probably have an extra velcro closure sewn on below the zipper when it is zipped up. My Bare wetsuit has one where as my Henderson does not. I noticed this past weekend that the zippers on my booties were sliding down while wearing my short wetsuit where with my full wetsuit I had not noticed this before. I may add the same thing to my booties.

If it's not a fit issue add some Velcro. Sew a patch off hook on one side and a length of loop on the other side. Make the loop material long enough to leave a tail to help release it for doffing. I ended up doing this at the cheek of a diagonal vest and it works great.

Pete

I see, you are saying that I'm too fat... :( I didn't think of that (well, in this context at least). Thanks for the suggestions too. I'll see what I can do with the velcro ideas.

I have the same problem with my 7mm hyperstretch.

When I only wear the 7mm i put the little zipper "cord" inside.

Why don't you just try putting the hooded vest on the outside? This would make your "body" the suit is covering a little smaller as well as cover up the zipper if it does come open again.

Just a thought.

Why don't you just try putting the hooded vest on the outside? This would make your "body" the suit is covering a little smaller as well as cover up the zipper if it does come open again.

Just a thought.

It sounds like a chicken vest and if so it will be much less effective on the outside.

Back
Top Bottom