wetsuit wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've worn a 1mm skin under my 6.5mm, and it works wonders for me. It's not so much the extra 1mm of insulation, but the 1mm acts to keep a layer of water trapped in some neoprene that does not flow easily. As a result, I stay nice and toasty.

GQMedic once bubbled...
Nobody except you!

Him? Pay? I guess not always...?

slingshot once bubbled...
Has anyone tried doubling up on wetsuits for colder water diving? I've got a 5mm jumpsuit, and have been considering buying a 3mm (eg Henderson Hyperstretch) to put over it rather than buying a 7. Possible advantages: cheaper to buy, increased versatility? Possible disadvantages: less mobility, scorn of my diving buddies? My searches of these forums haven't yielded any posts to this effect. Ideas anyone?

My girlfriend tried wearing a 3mm Henderson Hyperstretch over a 3mm shorty, and had no problems at all. Granted, that's a little different than using a 5mm and 7mm, but those Hyperstretch suits definitely give you room to work with.

I see DMs often doubling up. Usually its a shorty or maybe a FJ top with a full suit. They (1) get colder cause they are diving all of the time and (2) often can't afford or have access to the latest thickest suit.

slingshot once bubbled... Has anyone tried doubling up on wetsuits for colder water diving? I've got a 5mm jumpsuit, and have been considering buying a 3mm (eg Henderson Hyperstretch) to put over it rather than buying a 7. Possible advantages: cheaper to buy, increased versatility? Possible disadvantages: less mobility, scorn of my diving buddies? My searches of these forums haven't yielded any posts to this effect. Ideas anyone?
Dollar for dollar, a hooded vest added more warmth to my wetsuit than anything else.

My hooded vest is pretty thin, something like 3mm.

I have a Henderson Gold hood in 7mm and it performs so well that I would expect great things from a 7mm Henderson Gold hooded vest.

It's something to consider.

I've found that by adding a "Gold Core" type vest UNDER the suit, I get much more warmth than by adding it on top. Secret is, it has to be this type of material, as it forms a seal next to your skin.

Good luck to you and stay toasty warm

SWT

I was diving with doble two pies vet suits.
7mm + 5mm over the torso 24mm:D .
Ice dive 30min no problem, except i was hardly moving and I had 15 kg weights.

bummer..

It looks like doubling up on 3mm and 5mm wetsuits is pretty common. I know a guy who "borrowed" his wife's wetsuit to double up, so he could dive in 45 degree water. He wasn't moving so well with three layers on, but you don't really want to be moving a lot anyway.

Don't forget to add weight if you're doubling up your wetsuit. Keep in mind that wetsuits have a limited life anyway.
If you can't go with a drysuit, then spend the $80 for a hooded vest. (no cold water down your back)

Hantzu

Ok, here is the response from Hantzu's suit "borrowing" buddy. I was using a 7mil Henderson Hyperstretch over a 3mil fullsuit. The Hyperstretch is amazing . It feels less restricting than my full 3, very flexable. I have tried other combos with regular suits like a 3+3, but my valve reaching was much better with the 7mil Henderson. I tried my bibbed hood between the suits and it seemed to cut down on the back seepage, thanks to Harry Averill for that tip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom