Wetsuit vs Drysuit while in Cold Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or break your brand new toy and get an off-board evacuation valve :p (when I go dry, it will be the first thing I add)

Dry suit changes diving forever. Adding a p-valve makes it even better...

Dry suit changes diving forever. Adding a p-valve makes it even better...

It certainly seems to. I have seen the grin some of my buddies get on the surface :p

I started diving in a dry-suit and dived dry for a few years before switching to a wetsuit. Sea temperatures around here vary from 12c to 0c so i get a bit chilly at times but i put up with it for the increased manoeuvrability and allot less weight (Went from needing 28lbs to only needing 8, still haven't figured out how I manage to sink when physics says i really shouldn't). Getting changed is a bit of an adventure at times as well.

Overall I find the advantages of the wetsuit in the cold climate to be increased manoeuvrability and less weight needed at a cost of less warmth and more hassle changing. The amusment i get from seeing the funny look on other divers faces when they see me climbing through the snow into the water in my beat up old wetsuit with duck-tape round the cuffs and ankles could also be considered an advantage :D

A surplus army poncho is great for when you want to put on or take off your wetsuit in public. Simply put it on and it will cover you while you suit up or unsuit.

I have never dove a drysuit. I have been in cold water in a full 7mm, then a 7mm step in vest (for 14mm) and hoodiesn gloves, and booties.

I am a little cold at 40 - 45 degrees (but tolerable) and comfortable at 45 to 55 degrees.

There are two stories I hear all the time. Story 1: At depth, you are just as warm or warmer in you wetsuit, it's when you get out that hurts. Story 2: I'll be way warmer in a drysuit at depth.

I dive the cold mountain lakes of Canada. In know enough to peel off the minute I am out of the water and get into something warm till the next dive regardlesz of the temp outside.

Any thoughts? Should I stay or should I go (dry)?
There's another option --buy a wetsuit heater and use as needed, either during the dive or on the Surface Interval between dives. . .

UTD Equipment Solar Heating Systems

I wear a drysuit here in SoCal waters, but I unzip & use the "cummerbund heater" above and plug in during SIT's (haven't yet ported a waterproof through plug to an external battery in order to provide heat during the dive at depth. . .)

scjoe,

When conditions permit, which is most of the summer up here diving wet if by far my choice. I'm comfortable and capable in my dry suit but nothing (to me) beats the sheer carefree simplicity of a wet suit. Any way I look at it, from ease of use, ease of donning, dealing with summer heat, maintenance cost/risk etc. When it's a tossup for underwater comfort the wet suit usually wins out. Many of the downsides of diving dry are not even on the radar screen when diving wet.

Consider the dry suit a tool. For the right dives in the right conditions it's indispensable but it's not the only game in town.

Pete

I dive year round in the cold murky waters of the Pacific Northwest (Oregon). My buddy and I both use wetsuits. Occasionally it gets down to 45F and we are just fine. We jetty dive a lot and don't want the added complication of a malfunctioning "whatever" on a drysuit. Plus we do get lots of wear and tear (literally "tears") from barnacles. Our wetsuits are 7mm farmer john types and we are just fine. We usually dive 2 consecutive dives and never take off our suits in between dives. However, one thing that I hate is when I do 3 or 4 dives in one day and need time in between to off-gas and I take off my wetsuit during the interval - I hate putting on that cold wet wetsuit. So I bought another one (actually I have 3 fine wetsuits, including a nice Pinnacle that I bought for $100 on CL). As I said, we dive year round. We scream and laugh when we occasionally get changed in the driving Pacific Ocean rain - LOL. Also, we're both 61yrs young men. My instructor son was spoiled by months of warm water diving, but my friend and I have done considerable warm water diving and still come back to our wetsuits when were diving the cold murky Pacific NW waters of Oregon. And we also love diving Hood Canal/Puget Sound in our wetsuits. As I said before - for 2 consecutive dives, we're good - no problem. Beyond that, I want a "dry" spare wetsuit. As far as a drysuit - we've both tried them and don't want the extra hassles, let alone expense of a drysuit - unless we were diving regularly in the low 40F and below (which we only do once a year and survive it just fine).

I dive year round in the cold murky waters of the Pacific Northwest (Oregon). My buddy and I both use wetsuits. Occasionally it gets down to 45F and we are just fine. We jetty dive a lot and don't want the added complication of a malfunctioning "whatever" on a drysuit. Plus we do get lots of wear and tear (literally "tears") from barnacles. Our wetsuits are 7mm farmer john types and we are just fine. We usually dive 2 consecutive dives and never take off our suits in between dives. However, one thing that I hate is when I do 3 or 4 dives in one day and need time in between to off-gas and I take off my wetsuit during the interval - I hate putting on that cold wet wetsuit. So I bought another one (actually I have 3 fine wetsuits, including a nice Pinnacle that I bought for $100 on CL). As I said, we dive year round. We scream and laugh when we occasionally get changed in the driving Pacific Ocean rain - LOL. Also, we're both 61yrs young men. My instructor son was spoiled by months of warm water diving, but my friend and I have done considerable warm water diving and still come back to our wetsuits when were diving the cold murky Pacific NW waters of Oregon. And we also love diving Hood Canal/Puget Sound in our wetsuits. As I said before - for 2 consecutive dives, we're good - no problem. Beyond that, I want a "dry" spare wetsuit. As far as a drysuit - we've both tried them and don't want the extra hassles, let alone expense of a drysuit - unless we were diving regularly in the low 40F and below (which we only do once a year and survive it just fine).

Yeah, 45F is OK, especially if you have decent air temp., no wind & sun. For not taking the suit partially off in between dives to pee (I have to), if you are male, develop an external catheter that works (most of the time.....).

I'm always amazed at the number of people who mistake "I didn't die of hypothermia" for "I was comfortable."

Thank you all. It looks like a drysuit is the way to go. Next year though. For financial reasons, it's another cold wet summer for me.

BTW, to RJP. I just love that quote. Can I reword it into a tagline or something (E.g. " Any dive that doesn't result in hypothermia is a comfortable dive") or something to that extent.

Grasshopper: Wnen you suck hard on the regulator, it is time for you to leave :)

I am currently in Alberta too. I am obviously much more of a lightweight than you because I was not even done the pool portions of my open water course before I said that there was no way I was going into the lakes here without a drysuit. I certified in warmer waters and did my drysuit training later so I could enjoy the colder waters up here. Some dive shops here combine them but personally I think that is an awful lot to be doing at once, especially when you are in a lake with lower visibility and usually a bit of silt being kicked up by open water students :)

Drysuits are going to be much warmer than a wetsuit. Not only can you vary the insulating layers underneath, but the air itself keeps you warmer (remember how water cools you like 20x faster than air or whatever). There is no worry about flush as you can have going wet. Despite being a lightweight, if I am diving dry I am fine in water that is 4 C, and when I get out I am STILL warm. Those winds can really pick up on the lakeshores up here, and well, you are at altitude so it tends to be a little cooler anyway. Another thing I am not sure was mentioned (I did not read all the replies) is that you can have a LOT more freedom of movement in a drysuit (depending on the suit) as compared to wearing 7mm/14mm both in and out of the water.

I know people who dive dry wherever they travel as well. If you have a shell suit for example, and the right undergarments for the conditions, you can be just as comfortable diving in waters that are 4 C, as you are waters that are 78 C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom