Wetsuit undergarment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thijsie:
I've been cold in the water almost everytime, and am looking for some sort of undergarment.

Not an answer to your question, but a bit of advice: Are you wearing a hood? Nothing will help keep you warmer than a hood!

Yes. Well, not at the moment, ofcourse...

Interesting topic - I'm also looking around to see what I can wear beneath a wetsuit that wont bunch up (UK) as my course starts in 3 weeks time. I only managed to find kiddies Speedo's over here so far.

Looking at those O'Neill shorts in the links - I am intrigued as to how they claim to have a 'hidden key pocket' - It looks like they will leave little to the imagination anyway - so where do they hide the keys.........................

Will neoprene shorts - 1 - 1.5mm be ok to use as general swimming wear and also underneath a (probably) 7mm wetsuit and wont bunch up or castrate you if you put a wetsuit over the top of them?

Do you wear a hooded vest? If you're looking to get some more insulation then adding neoprene over your core is gonna be the best bet. Try to find a hooded vest with like 7mm in the chest. I wear one diving around here that's probably 5mm or so.

Thijsie:

Those look nice but I see no need for them to be 1.5 mil. Just stretchy yet thick enough not to scare the other divers if ya know what I mean.:wink: I agree, they are hard to find even here in the US. Does sports authority have a web page? I think my wife bought mine at DIver's Direct (.com)..?

I agree with the thin vest and or hood to add SIGNIFICANT warmth.

Look, I have surfed, biked, swam, skied and stretchy clothing is what is used. I don't recall exactly when Americans started freaking out over bike shorts and brief style swimwear. The cloths these days are getting longer, baggier and droopier by the day. It has to stop. Quit obscessing over foolishness, function has to play a part in athletic gear and certain aspects of diving are athletic as is the need to get a wet suit over the garment and have some sort of comfort.

Neoprene shorts, I have some which were made by Body Glove.--no longer made of course. They fit like bike short and are about 1 mil neoprene. They came with a matching vest top and I love them for surfing, kayaking and warm water diving. They, like most neoprene garments, are not really intended to be a swimsuit, I prefer wearing something under them so I can get them off. They can get warm or get sand in them. I recently bought a simialr set from Henderson, Microprene. They are thin neoprene. This partiiclar set , the shorts are long, nearly to my knees and have a drawstring. They could probably be used as a swimsuit but again, I wear them over a swimsuit. Recnetly I found some 1.5 mil I think it is kayak shorts. Do a search for PaddleMe Sportswear. They are built for kayaking, which I do, but I have found they are nice for under a wet suit or for warm water diving. The fellow that owns the company is very responsive. It is a nice product.

I have found that the thin vests and shorts worn under a suit add a lot to warmth. A hood does wonders. I have not found what I want for men though--I want a sleeved, 3/4 sleeve or long sleeve, 1.5 mil or such T shirt with built in hood. They make them for women but not for men. It would get rid of the seperate hood and rash guard tee for sun protection. Yes, there are some vests like this but I would prefer a sleeve again so I don't need a rash guard t shirt for sun protection in shallow water.
N

You really should look into getting a pair of Speedos. They have magical properties that keep you warm, no matter what temperature the water is. They have a way of pooching your belly up too, producing a thermogenic affect that keeps your core warmer. It's really quite amazing... The more you wear them, the more hair you will grow on your chest, shoulders, and back too, thus adding yet another layer of essential environmental protection.

Lycra- and as far as getting it, check out some dive stores online with great return policies and sizing instructions, so if it doesn't fit they'll pay for the shipping back to the company and send you a different size.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom