wetsuit trouble

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Help, while preparing for certification dives I foundout the hardway that I am allerject to my wetsuit which prevented certification this last weekend.Drysuits are to expensive for the time being and I had a lycra wetskin on at the time so I know that is not enough.So can someone give me any help as to what and where I might be able to find a answer to my problem?Thanks Customizer

customizer:
Help, while preparing for certification dives I foundout the hardway that I am allerject to my wetsuit which prevented certification this last weekend.Drysuits are to expensive for the time being and I had a lycra wetskin on at the time so I know that is not enough.So can someone give me any help as to what and where I might be able to find a answer to my problem?Thanks Customizer

Check out the article at

http://www.scuba-doc.com/otherderms.htm

Hi Customizer,

I'm allergic to the neoprene in my 3mm wetsuit and my neoprene drysuit, but not to my 7/5 wetsuit. I would say if you still want to dive wet, get yourself tested by a dermatology clinic that does patch tests and includes rubber accelerants, and get the latex allergy tests too. Chances are that you're probably not allergic to all types of neoprene, and you may be able to find a suit that doesn't give you a rash. I am allergic to the Thiourea group of rubber accelerants, and whenever I'm in the market for new dive gear (trilam drysuit is next on my list) I have the shop call the manufacturer to find out whether any of the chemicals in that group are present in the suit. It's a major PITA to do this, but if a store really wants your business they will help you out. It also prevents you buying gear that you have to return or sell on eBay after a dive or 2.

Check out my thread on the subject: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=89937

Note: I have since tried using a skin underneath the 3mm suit, and it doesn't help at all!
Good luck and don't get discouraged!

:sunny Hello Customizer,
Welcome you to Scuba Board –One of the most informative and dedicated boards on the net. You can meet a lot of helpful people here and it’s an awesome place to get answers to your questions regarding scuba diving. If you ever want to chat feel free to PM me. Take care and Safe Diving

-Matt- :palmtree:

Click here to greet a new member!
:thumb:
No experience needed and it feels great!

Thanks to all that replied to my question.I guess patch test is in order since my reaction is rather severe(weeping,swelling),but never fear I am a persistant person and I would like to see the other part of this world that God gave us.I am going to try a polar fleece type of dive skin (was told it was about 2mm thick) before patch test.Will let everone know if it works or not. Thanks again,Customizer

You could consider just diving dry. You can actually learn OW in a drysuit.

James Goddard:
You could consider just diving dry. You can actually learn OW in a drysuit.
Yes I have considered dry diving but at this time there is one problem with that,cost.I live in Arkansas and haven't found anyone that rents drysuits.Not being certified as of yet doesn't help either. Thanks anyway,Customizer

Back
Top Bottom