Wetsuit thicknesses advice for skinny folk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

New Hoo Diver,
First, welcome to the boards.
Regarding your question: while I am hardly "skinny" (5'8",175 lbs), I do get cold earlier than most -in air as well as in water.
I wear a full 3mm ("gold core"-the slick lining does help)suit for the first 2 days of a trip (6-8 dives), then I add on a 3mm vest (for the next 6-8+). I find that does the trick as the repeated multi-dive days, even in the 75-80 degree water, will cumulatively add to your bodies reaction to the cold.

As I read through this thread, I see that you have been given a variety of suggested approaches, all of which have merit.
The problem becomes finding the thinnest (to keep the amount of weight you need to carry at a minimum) suit, or combination of layers-suit/vest/hood/gloves- that does the job in keeping you warm. As some of the other folks have said "too warm" is way better than "too cold".

A few things to consider, which only you can answer: when you got cold in the pool, was it "all over", or arms& legs first, etc.
If you are not "extra" cold in the arms & legs, then a thinner suit (3mm), plus a hooded(?) vest (or a "beanie" type separate hood) might do the job with less bulk.
Good luck with your selection,and of course your diving,and let us know what you decide, and how it works.
good luck,
Mike

NewHoo, I stick by my post in the other thread.

Not only will 5 mm be too warm, but it will be too bulky. As someone who has vast experience in being cold, I can tell you that you will be much happier & better off using 3mm and layering.

1) a full 3mm with a vest underneath. Personally I use an Aeroskin because it has virtually no buoyant properties. However, in the past I used a 3mm neoprene vest.

2) a 3mm farmer john with a 3mm jacket. Jackets can come full or shorty (bolero) style.

3) add a "dive beanie". Since a great deal of heat is lost through the head, you may find using a "dive beanie" to be of help. They are usually only about 2mm of neoprene.

Note: no offense to people who dive with the shiny lined suits, but sources like Rodales indicate that this is basically a marketing gimmick.

BTW, I use a full 3mm suit in the pool working with students... that's how "cold" I get! :cold:

~SubMariner~

A 3mm would be enough for me but if you are more susceptible to cold then I'd take your LDS advice and get the 5mm. The 5mm will be slightly bulkier but it's not going to make a big difference and I don't agree with Submariner that you will be too warm. Water temp is, say, 75f. Your body temperature is 98f. You will not gain heat in the water. Wetsuit thickness just dictates whether you maintain your body heat or whether you lose it. The suggestion to get a 2mm beanie is also good.

Only time you will notice the extra thickness is if you have to wait in the sun before entering the water.

I would also get a full suit, not a shorty, to give you greater protection against stings, scrapes etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom