Wetsuit thickness question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leaky wrist seals and hot weather :D

No I am not going to dive in winter here. Actually I won't be here in winter time at all. Only summer dives basically. But you guys are right I will be looking into the 7 mm. version of the above mentioned suit since it may give me the chance to expand my diving season for a few months more other than just hot summer months.
Thanks guys..

Pinnacle 7mm Elastiprene with Merino lining it is !!!
with Hood and Boots and gloves of course...

No brrrrrr diving for me.... I can't even stand the cold weather during winter. Forget about getting into the water. If you see me in the water between November and June it means my boat sunk...

Good choice! The 7mm pinnacle merino is a good suit. Have you tried one on in person yet. They have a... particular... fit. For some they work GREAT but I've heard some people say they'll never fit into a pinnacle. There are a few other options with different fit profiles. Here are some recommendations

1. Waterproof Taurus (7mm semi-dry and SUPER warm) Waterproof - Sweden
2. Waterproof Aries 7mm Waterproof - Sweden
3. ScubaPro Nova Scotia NOVA SCOTIA - SCUBAPRO-UWATEC

I'm a huge fan of the Xcel Polar Quad-Density. It's a front entry with an integrated hood. It's just as warm as the farmer johns and only one piece to put on. I have owned a few drysuits and about to buy another but I'd rather use my wetsuit any day of the week. If temps are above 60, I'm in the Xcel. The Quad is a smart suit and has different thicknesses of neoprene in different areas. Thicker in core areas and thinner in the joints for dexterity. They're a little more expensive then the average wetsuit but well worth it.

Best of luck

Billy

OK - dove the suit in question (OP) for the first time today, in waters with occasional fresh water infusion dropping temp to ~75 (brrrrr). It is very comfortable for me. When my boss made the order, we thought it was going to be shipped the next day, but no; next day we received an email requiring measurements because they do not think people can read their size charts I guess. That happened at the end of the week so could not get it shipped until after a phone conversation on Monday.

Zeagle has purchased Pinnacle, and our key man price has gone up significantly. Suit was $80 more than semi key man price for my 5mm Aquaflex 18 months ago from a local shop I don't even work for. Only one color (black with a little gray:(, hope I can find some blue dye that will correct the gray boringness!

I will now keep the Aquaflex at home for non-work diving.

Pinnacle makes a fine suit in my opinion, but keep in mind that any off-the-rack suit is cut to fit on ly one person, and that's the person that the pattern was cut from. The best wetsuit is one that's cut for you - a custom suit. There are several good manufacturers. I personally dive a JMJ - they're in Torrance, so not far if you're in So. Cal.

Thanks for all the good advice guys. Tomorrow my wetsuit will be here and after I put it on I'll let you know if size King2 is good for me as I expect it to be or not.
I'll post an update.

Here is another idea from an Ohio quarry dive instructor.

This year got the Waterproof (out of Sweden) 7mm suit. WONDERFUL. For me I can tolerate 57 degree water for classes and have used it at 70 degrees as well. But I tolerate wide temp ranges easily. I do get cold farily easily. I find this suit to be rugged, little to no water flow once under. When you exit your wrists and ankles are balloons and the water when you drain it is HOT! Almost like a semi-dry but not really. They do sell a semi-dry 7mm also but with my experience in this one I see no need. For the colder temps I add a 3/2 hooded vest.

I also have a DUI TLS350 drysuit but so much more hassle than a wet suit for most of my diving. The dry suit is a great one for colder temps.

Dan, et al. I have the Waterproof SemiDry (The Taurus) and LOVE it!! It's great in the local Monterey waters. I've only dove it to 45 degrees but still been toasty and what little water is in it is HOT. That said, I hardly get wet at all. I usually put on a little conditioner on my arms and legs and from about 2" from my wrist and ankles all the conditioner is still there when I doff. My chest, elbows, knees, etc are 100% dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom