Wetsuit sizing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gidds

Contributor
Reaction score
Witness Protection Program (hiding from the MOFia)
I think it's time for a new suit since I've just messed up the zipper on my old suit. I fixed it but it's comprimised plus I just tried on the jacket (which I have always hated)and there is no way in heck I can get into it. Now here is my question: my current suit is a 9/10 (SeaQuest) and I usually wear an 8 in street clothes, is wetsuit sizing the same at street clothing or is it like swimsuits where you may have to buy 1-3 sizes larger than your street clothes?
Additional info: I got the suit in 1997 and at the time I only wore a 4 but I'm kind of tall so I had to go with the bigger size. At the time the chest and hips were big but now they seem to fit. I don't think the suit is too small because it still keeps me warm but I'm not positive because it is a royal pain-in-the-posterior to get into it.

I think they're like jeans...you have to try on a specific garment to really know how it will fit you.

It seems to me that the stated sizes (number or S, M, etc.) are variable with the manufacturer, but often are larger than clothes sizes. For example, in clothes I wear a size 1, but in Bare I wear a size 6. In Oceaner, a small is huge on me. Also, I think even if you know the major measurements, it is difficult to size because they are cut differently. For example, the Henderson's are so long on me, the shin pads are almost at my ankles and the waist goes down to my hips. I'm sure if you're of an average height, you'll have much better luck.

BTW, pantyhose work wonders for getting tight wetsuits on quickly and easily. Try it!

Ayisha is right, they vary all over the place. Though womens sizesd are often of the numerical formats where the mens are s,m,l, xl..... Nonethe less they can vary between and within manufacturers and when changing neoprene thickness. Bottom line is that you need to try them on.

BARE had the broadest line of sizes I've seen and I belive Paul from PG dive in Newton has posted that they are quite competitive with Divetank so that means you can have your cake and eat it too. Try it on, buy it local and at a nice price.

Pete

Gidds:
I think it's time for a new suit .

Wet suits shrink when hung in dark areas.

"Herself" advised me of this. It is true.

Custom is the way to go, they even let them out if they shrink.

The very best I have ever found: http://www.wetwear.com/sportdivers.htm

Get the "full leg & arm zippers" on http://www.wetwear.com/accessories.htm and you'll have a suit that can be put on and off in less than 30 seconds.

Then you might like a beanie! http://www.terrapinwetsuits.com/accessor.htm

Have fun!

The wetsuits I have tried are all over the place, size-wise. If they fit one place, they are too big/small in another place. The trick is definitely trying them on. They vary ALOT by brand. Try different shop because they carry different brands. I have three shops to choose from and the shop I get most of my gear doesn't have any brands of suits that fit me and I have tried lots at that shop. My suits have come from the other shops.
For me, female suits are too short and too tight in the chest area. (I'm 6') My favorite is a Henderson because of the extra stretch in certain areas without making it hard to breath. It is the only brand that a female size fit.
Someday I would like to try a custom suit. They sound like the way to go.

I'm looking at a Bare Velocity 3mm suit at Divetank and I sent them an inquiry about my size. I take anywhere from a size 4 to a 6 in dress clothes and an 8 in bikinis. The lady at Divetank told me I should buy an 8 for a snug fit but a 10 would fit more comfortably. I'm only 5'4--on a good day.
It seems so big to me. I don't want to have a loose look, I'd rather have it fit form fitting but I'm just not sure. No one in town carries them so I can't even try one on locally before I order.

Anybody have a similiar size problem?

That's pretty much the sort of thing I was wondering about but I think weight is more important than height. The average American woman is 5'3" and wears like a 10-12 or so I am told. I'm 5'7" which is mildly annoying for getting suits to fit but right now I'm more concerned about my weight which is 145 and that is rather hefty for me. I afraid that if I get a suit that fits me now and then I lose weight it won't fit as well and I'll be cold. I'm also not sure if my current suit fits me or not.

Gidds - if you lose enough weight to change your body shape, then yes your wet suit might be too big for you.

BUt I wouldnt count on losing weight when you buy your suit, but what is comfortable now.

Are there any online stores with a return policy?

I'd email a few stores with your measurements - see what they suggest.

I had trouble as I am a petite 5'7" but only weigh about 100-110lbs (50kg). My biggest problem is I have 32" inside legs (my husband is 5"10 with 29" inside legs).

Best of luck!

I just purchased a Bare (gotta love that name) SGS 7mm for my friend , 5'7" , 130-135 lbs 36c , she tried on the one that the size chart suggested (10) and while it fit really well, she said it was much too tight in the chest for her to be comfortable , so tried on a 12 and was much better for her and only slightly wrinkled at back of knees when flexed ... she has never dove in a wetsuit and we did her first coldwater dive ever (62*) and she was comfortable (yay!)
Oh , and did I mention that she looks like a "hot diver chick" in it :07: (she likes the cut of the panels , in dark & med. blue)
I found that my size wetsuit by the chart was one size too small than the one that actually fit me also
Gidds , you sound like a 12 would work on you as well
I hope this helps :D

DB

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom