Wetsuit Repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darylm74

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Can someone recommend a wetsuit repair company, especially if it is in the western Pennsylvanian area? I got about a 5 inch gash in the lower leg of my wetsuit. Also what is the typical cost for repairing tears?

Thanks

Daryl

You can talk to your LDS, they may be able to fix it, but if I was you I'd buy a tube of Aqua Seal, and do it myself, it is easy and if are going to be diving a while you might aswell get use to repairing your own wetsuits.

OliveBone:
You can talk to your LDS, they may be able to fix it, but if I was you I'd buy a tube of Aqua Seal, and do it myself, it is easy and if are going to be diving a while you might aswell get use to repairing your own wetsuits.

I've done the same. It isn't worth it investing in wetsuit repair. Becuause a tear has already happened it will likely happen again. After a couple of time of repair you have paid enough to buy a new suit. What would you prefer a fixed used suit or a brand new one? Your choice.

darylm74:
Can someone recommend a wetsuit repair company, especially if it is in the western Pennsylvanian area? I got about a 5 inch gash in the lower leg of my wetsuit. Also what is the typical cost for repairing tears?

Thanks

Daryl

As mentioned below the DIY approach is easier than you might think. I made my first alteration last night to my wifes hooded vest. It was a bit roomy in the crown so I sliced a crescent out of it, glued and blindstitched. It was 5mm material and it's very 3 dimensional giving a good surface to glue against and blindstitch into with a curved needle.

Wetsuit cement, nylon thread, needle and an X-Acto set were the main tools. You can find many threads in EXPOSURE PROTECTION and DIY that give more insight. Remember that it's a contact type cement so bring the seam together carefully. The material as you know is stretchy so you have some chance for adjustment as you go.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom