Wetsuit rental

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bananas75

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi all,

Just a quick question, I'm going to Komodo for a week on an LOB in September and have just been told that I will need a 5mm semi dry wetsuit for the trip because the water down south is going to be a bit nippy.

There are none on the boat, so I was wondering if anyone knows of a dive shop in Bali that would be willing to rent me one for the week? I can pick it up in Bali on the 6th september and return it on the 13th when I get back.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Cheers

Bananas

The water will be kind of chilly in Komodo, but unless you are terribly "allergic" to water usually around 19-21 degrees, there is no way you will need a semi-dry suit. I am pretty much a warm water wimp, and I do just fine on Komodo LOBs wearing a 3/2 full suit and busting out the 2 mil hooded vest every now and then. I will be the first to say a 5 mil is not a bad idea, but don't go broke or crazy trying to track down a semi-dry suit that may/may not even exist in Indonesia (at least I do not recall ever even seeing one). Bring your 3 mil. and a hood/hooded vest. Being from chilly London I will bet you will be just fine.

i agree, a`5mm wetsuit is more than enough. but just for case bring a hood with u or a rash vest .....

Cheers for the replies,

Must admit, I am a big girls blouse and cold water allergic, I sold my drysuit and gave up UK diving a few years ago. I was a little surprised at the semi dry advice, so think I'll just go for a 5mm standard. I don't actually own a 3mm as I never have enough space to carry it.....

Would a dive shop rent one to me and let me disappear with it for a week?

Cheers

Depending where you are staying in Bali i am sure if you email a dive op they will rent you one and giving them a deposit also.

Surprised the Lob can't be more helpful and arrange one for you.

If the rental rates aren't too stiff and you can't find a 5mm, rent two 3mm suits. That way you're not too warm for the warmer N. Komodo sites, but can layer on what you might need for S. Komodo.

P.S. On my Komodo liveaboard, I was prepared for cold with a 5mm farmer john. Knowing that the water was sure to be in the mid-60s (18-19 C), I actually screamed when I jumped in (yep, I'm a big cold water wuss). Then I checked my computer and noted that it was actually 79 degrees (26 C). I felt fine after that and for all our dives there as we apparently lucked out. Also, that was just the surface temp. As it can be murky at Cannibal Rock, it does get chillier at depth. I never bothered to look at the temp after the first time, being so distracted by all the interesting sea life crammed onto that one little pinnacle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom