Wetsuit recommendations - multi-use wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheStebes

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok, after reading 15 pages of threads in this exposure suit section and endless reading elsewhere...I'm still not sure what I should buy.

I'm getting ready to purchase a wetsuit, I'm not looking to spend a ton, but want a quality suit. The real issue however, is that I will be diving various conditions, and it is seems impossible for me to purchase 1 suit to meet all of my upcoming needs. First of all, I have a trip coming up to Key West in July. However, I live in New Jersey and will also be using the suit for snorkeling/spearfishing and possibly some mid-summer dives as well.

From what I've been reading, people recommend anything from nothing-3mm suits in Florida mid-summer. As for New Jersey, I couldn't find as many opinions but I'm guessing probably around the 4-5mm range even during the Summer? Correct me if I'm wrong.

So basically I'm looking for some suggestions as to what will give me the most flexibility in this temperature range. I've been looking at a Hyperflex cyclone 4/3 suit that seemed to be a reasonable compromise. I'll probably be warm in Florida and cold here in Jersey though. What would everyone recommend if I chose to spend a bit more on 2 or 3 pieces for layering?

Scott

Personally, I am in a 7mm or Drysuit when diving the Northeast.
In Florida, I am in bathing suit, shorty or 3mm at the most.

If you think you only need a 5mm: Purchase a 3mm with a vest. Now you can use it as a 6mm or a 3mm without having two wetsuits.

I also have a hooded vest for colder water (under my 7mm when I am foolish enough not to have my Dry Suit).

Unless you are going to restrict yourself to exclusively warm or somewhat warm water, you will probably need more than 1 wetsuit.

As for brand, try on several brands. While there are a lot similarities, the fit and cut is usually different. If you can rent it prior, do so.

Good luck and safe diving!

jcf

I agree with scubajcf. Diving a 3mm is great in Tropic waters, but you will befinitely want at least a 7mm suit for NJ. If not a farmer john style which would give you 14mm on your core. You will find that most people who continue to dive in the Northeast do eventually switch to drysuits, especially if you plan on repetitive dives. Not that I have not see people wear a 5mm or even 3mm in the PA/NJ region, but they are far and few between and typically do not repeat it more than once.

Remeber that when buying your suit, fit is everything. I think if you are sticking with a wetsuit you will need two suits if you dive reguarly in FL and NJ. Fit not brand/cost make a great suit.

When my students are looking to save money on wetsuits I recommend a 5mm farmer john, the ones with the shorty top. When they dive warmer water they just wear the shorty part and unzip it to cool off as needed. Wear both parts in cold water to give you a nice thick layer over your core.
Ber :lilbunny:

Thanks for the input. I think the 5mm farmer and shorty combo is probably the best idea. Anyone have a suggestion on some good models to look at?

For those of you who dive at dutch springs out in PA, could you get away with a 5mm farmer john and shorty during the summer?

I have a Bare Arctic Wetsuit and i love it. When you get in the water you feel it for the first 3 mins then you start to warm up. Im diving in 47-60 degree waters so there pretty chilli but my Arctic wetsuit keeps me really warm.

It comes with a 7mm full body suit as well as a 7mm shorty vest with attached hood so there is no watr that runs down your back.

I can truthfully say i have no regrets go wet with my Bare Arctic 7mm. You will love it!!

Fit is the most important thing here. A suit that fits properly will keep you way warmer than one that dose not. You can go with a farmer john and jacket but the problem with that is that if you ever want to wear just the jacket by its self it will be a little big because it is made to wear over the john.....and if you wear the john by its self you are loosing major heat from the arm pits......with either one by it's self you are exposing part of your body...... Personally I like to make sure I have full body protection from any of the little critters....especially in Florida! I would recommend doing a 3 or 5 mm Jumpsuit and then putting either a vest or short sleeve shorty over top of the full suit for extra warmth. That way you always have full body protection and you layer over your full suit for the extra warmth.

As for a suit I recommend..... I have a WETWEAR custom made suit and it is great. It is made of material that dose not compress and it fits like a second skin. You would be surprised that you can get custom made from WETWEAR for about the same price as some of these high end off the rack suits. Their website is Welcome to Wetwear - Custom Wet Suits of Rubatex Neoprene for Scuba Diving and All Water Activities

Good Luck!

Fit is the most important thing here. A suit that fits properly will keep you way warmer than one that dose not. You can go with a farmer john and jacket but the problem with that is that if you ever want to wear just the jacket by its self it will be a little big because it is made to wear over the john.....and if you wear the john by its self you are loosing major heat from the arm pits...

She does have a point about fit being incredibly important with regards to a suit. The size difference really isn't noticeable without the bottom part of the farmer john especially since you'll only be using the shorty by itself in warm water. She will have to chime in with her diving background, personally I've used all or parts of a farmer john combo in 45 degree water all the way through 84+ degree water.

The only time I wear the bottom piece by itself is when I go water skiing or white water rafting.

I too like to make sure I'm completely covered when diving in salt water so I have a dive skin that I can wear under my suit to protect from "things that sting". The skin also makes the suit easier to get on so I wear it no matter what temperature water I'm diving in.
Ber :lilbunny:

A good quality 5mm is a great compromise suit.

Try it without a hood in warm water. Toss a hooded vest on in cold water.

Would a 5mm be too warm for diving in the keys in July? Obviously it's outside of the usual thickness range, but does anyone have any experience?

thanks again for all the advice

Scott

Back
Top Bottom