Wetsuit questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting that you're being made to use your hood and gloves in the pool! I've never heard of that being done in my area, even though the certification dives are done with them on (Monterey). I suppose it's a good thing though, to get used to them if you do have to do certification dives with them on.

As for what to wear in Bonaire, I also put myself in the "feel cold easily" category, but found that I did fine with a 3/2 shorty in Barbados (water temp 84), but was only doing one dive a day. For a multiple dive day, I would think a 3mm full would be better, and it'll also protect your skin from critter-rash (I got quite a lot of red bumps on my forearms and legs that weren't covered by neoprene).
Main thing though, is fit, as mentioned already.

Also, as far as tropical beanies go, they are definitely less contricting than full hoods, but I had to try on a few brands before getting one that felt ok -- the problem is the strap -- if it's too close to your throat, it doesn't feel too good...

I've been lurking on the thread for a while, hoping someone could answer your claustrophobia issue. Which I find a little interesting because it's only when you put on the hood. So it probably has something to do with the muffled sound. Can't think of anything, outside of a thinner material, to help the muffled sound without losing integrity of the hood. Maybe a more seasoned person can help.

BTW - you're doing a great job with OW. Just think you're almost there. I agree a loose lens is probably 90% of the problem that night (heh heh, hate to think that you blew so hard the lens started to leak!). Mask clearing is difficult, but unfortunately a necessary skill. When you feel claustrophobic try to focus on something else or someone else in the pool. Stay away from night dives and deep dives in murky watter... or at least, until you're comfortable in the water.

Keep at it! Good luck with your next session!

You are getting some really good advice from the board. In my OW class there was a woman who couldn't put her face in the water and someone suggested she take the class to overcome it. She jumped out of the pool several times during training...but...she finished and went to Coz. with us on our first trip after certification...and when I came out of Devil's Throat I saw her at 130fsw. and she waived at me...she did just fine, especially for a deep dive that soon after certification...board advice is right...take your time and be comfortable with it. Just keep on swingin at it, sounds like you really want to do it. It's worth it. (Don't think I would like a hood either, I hate cold water. Oh well, I may need to learn.)

Thanks for all your responses & support! Yeah, it WAS a “bad scuba hair day”. I talked with my LDS, and they relented enough to let me wear a “Caribbean” cap instead of the whole head hood. They also let me wear thin scuba gloves instead of the heavy stuff needed in this area... and they exchanged my broken mask for a new one.

Had no trouble passing the final exercises this time – yeah! Now I just have to look forward to my actual OW dives, but those will be in Bonaire.. that will be another story – <grin!>

DIVERNVA, since you asked, the claustrophobia was hitting me from feeling most of my head covered up by the hood, then the mask was covering what was left. I don’t know why but I was having mental images of getting suffocated with all this stuff so tight about my head. But I felt none of that with the Caribbean mask, probably because its so easy to take on & off.

Regarding the wetsuit, I decided to buy one at my LDS, they had a 0.5 mm suit that was cheap and fit me great (except for the leg & arm length, but I’m used to that with any piece of clothing I buy, it’s the price of being petite). I considered renting it in Bonaire instead, but it cost only $20 more to get the one from the LDS, so I figured it was worth it. I’ll bring that Caribbean cap just in case I get cold, hopefully these 2 items will be enough protection from the brrrr’s.

JOEWR, thanks for suggesting I gold plate my husband… and he appreciated the sentiment but he became concerned for the effect this would have on his buoyancy … LOL!

Now I just have to count the days to vacation time (9/8)… can’t get here soon enough!
Thanks!!
-Casana

With a wife like you he is probably walking on air and needs a few more lbs to establish correct buoyancy!

Now that no one else is awake yet and we can talk I just wanted to say one thing...or two...

Every single person who dropped you a line was a beginner at one time. AND WHETHER THEY ADMIT IT OR NOT, THEY ALL HAD SOME PROBLEM! For some it was mask clearing. For some it was what kind of BC made them feel right. For some....well, you get the idea. You are not and you will never be alone when you experience some sort of problem!

Second, down in Bonaire you will be amongst strangers again. And it is quite normal to feel nervous. Remember when you took your first driver's license test? So, don't worry if you're worried! (That reminds me of something my grandmother used to say, "It does no good to tell an insomniac that insomnia is nothing to lose sleep over.")

Well, we'll be wishing the best...and be sure to report back! By the way, you write very well!

Joewr--sipping his morning coffee cup(s) of Peets coffee(but only the House Blend)

Casana,

Please give us an update of your vacation when you get back.

Going back to an old subject...

It seems kinda odd that you HAD to wear a hood (or a cap in your case) for your OW training. I refused to wear mine for my OW (because the hood make me unconfortably hot), but there was no problem. I was told by my instrcutor that the only purpose of the hood is to keep you warm (I was told that if I wasn't comfortable wearing one...don't).

Casan welocme, I just now got a minute to read this thread
and I am in tears laughing ;-0. All I can imagine is you in a semi panic situation, trying to clear a mask with one lens (I do understand you lost the lens after you got out of the water).....I am sorry I shouldn't laugh, but if you sit back and envision this, it is really quite comical.

This thread has made my night.

Butch :peace:

Since you asked for a report...

I survived my 4 "test" dives in open water, was a bit scared of diving in the ocean and I was TERRIFIED of taking my mask off, but all that wore off pretty quickly once I noticed the fishies. When the time came for taking the mask off, I just held my instructor's arm until I calmed down, then did it real quick. That human contact for some reason calmed me down a lot, plus she was a great instructor, very calm.
So in total I did 11 dives in Bonaire!!! (includes my 4 padi cert dives). I even did one dive without my husband (while he was doing some of his Advanced Water Training), diving off the boat with a group from our resort. Had a couple of "oops" moments, when I suddently felt myself popping up to almost the surface, then I remembered to let the air out of my BCD and would be able to come back down. By the end of the trip I felt like I was starting to get a feel on how to control my buoyancy.
Had a WONDERFUL time hanging out with all the tropical fish and the coral... it was definitely worth facing the scary mask removal test. Of course now I have to deal with post vacation/diving depression... and start planning our next dive adventure!

Glad I brought my own wetsuit, and .5ml thickness was perfect for the caribbean.

IFUKUDA - regarding the cap/hood & gloves requirement, the dive shop kept insisting that its required because they as the trainers are based in the northeast and HAVE to train to local diving conditions. Believe me I tried to arque my way out of this but their only concession was to let me use tropical hood & gloves.

Thanks for all the support!! :wink:

...............on your achievement and yes the depression will set in.............

Butch :peace:

Your experience made me remember how I felt about it as a beginner. There was entirely too much constricting neoprene, and I felt like a sausage. Diving here in So. Cal, I really had no choice, though, and over time that feeling went away. Now I even take the hood on tropical trips. Considering how much heat you lose from your head, the hood or the beanie is not a bad idea with days of repetitive diving, even when the water is warm. It does get better, honestly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom