Wetsuit questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Casana

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys, you seem like a friendly bunch, I could use some guidance from more experienced heads… but before I pose my questions, here’s some background info:

I’m taking the OW class at a local pool in the Northeast US. I am MOST definitely NOT & NEVER planning on diving in this area... I’m the type of person that gets goosebumps in Caribbean water, and the main reason I’m taking this scuba class is that my diving hubby and I are going to Bonaire. Since diving is supposed to be so great in Bonaire, I thought it would be a shame to miss out so here I am in the pool class. I’ll be doing my open water cert dives in Bonaire, not at the local quarry.

Ok, with that background in mind, read on...

1) I’ve got my last pool session class tonight (yeah!) however I understand I’m supposed to be wearing a hood & gloves. When I went to the LDS, the only gloves they could rent me were huge (I’m petite) and when I tried on the hood I started to feel claustrophobic so I decided to rent nothing. Do I HAVE to wear these in order to get my PADI referral ??

2) I KNOW I’ll need to have a wetsuit in Bonaire, I looked at the rental prices, and for $9.50/day x 7 days, I may as well buy a suit. Any recommendations for someone who’s ALWAYS cold?

Thanks for any advice!!
-Casana

Hi! Hood & gloves are not required for your PADI certification - but I know I felt much better with my gloves on under water. Not only were my hands toasty warm - the hand/skin protection is important - lot's of sharp stuff under water. I just got my OW certification - and I only own a 3MM shorty - but there are plenty of on-line and local sources that can help you with wetsuit choices. Make sure you review the size chart for each manufacturer - I was amazed at how different each one of them are as far as size ranges. If you are hard to fit (I don't know how many wetsuit manufacturers make petite sizes) - there are a number of on-line sources for custom suits as well. May here have been impressed by Liquid Fit and Aquaflite. Good luck in you final session and have fun in Bonaire.

Originally posted by Casana

2) I KNOW I’ll need to have a wetsuit in Bonaire, I looked at the rental prices, and for $9.50/day x 7 days, I may as well buy a suit. Any recommendations for someone who’s ALWAYS cold?

I used a "skin" or very thng wetsuit in Bonaire and it didn't take me too long to get cold. I have moved up to a 3 mm full length ONeill wetsuit and that worked pretty well. I found that if I ever did get just a little bit too warm I could just let some water into my suit by tugging on the neck a little bit.

I also found that using a tropical beanie hood was very helpful in retaining heat. You said that you had some problems with the wetsuit hood, but a tropical hood is much less "invasive". You might try taking a look at them. Harvey's and ONeill both make nice tropical hoods.

One of the biggest factors when buying a wetsuit is to get one that fits. You want it pretty tight. Not restrictive, but fairly close fitting. If it's loose then it will let water migrate in and out and that will have a tendancy to chill you while you dive. Good wrist, ankle, and neck seals is pretty important.

Have a good time in Bonaire!!

the water temp is in the mid to upper 80's. Key Largo is currently 86F. I was told by locals to purchase a skin or a 3mm suit for protection when I took my class. Another instructor told me he always dives with a 3mm regardless of the season, as it is warm enough for the winter, yet not too hot for the summer. I decided on a 3/2mm by O'Neil - 3mm in the body and 2mm in the extremities. I've found it to be very comfortable, except when sitting for 10 minutes in the sun before being able to enter the water.

Keep in mind that I don't enjoy my pool unless the water temp is above 82F. Guess my blood has thinned out a little in the last 6 years......

What time of year will you be in Bonaire? Temperature varies a bit during the year.

We usually do dive trips in the winter and my wife gets cold easily. She now has a 5 mm fullsuit from Wetwear with which she is very happy when diving in 78 to 80 degree water.

Ralph

RCOHN, I'll be in Bonaire in mid-September, so hopefully the water has had all summer to warm up for me... <grin!> Knowing me, I still might need that 5 mm suit!

Now I gotta decide... Should I try out what they have at the dive shop to see what I like... or take my chances with my LDS to see what they carry. I've read other wetsuit threads on this board that point at several online retailers as well, but I don't think I'll have time to wait for the suit to arrive before my trip.

DiverNyd, thanks for the beanie suggestion, but I think the local class requires a full hood (since that's what would be used to dive in the NE).

Casana (what a pretty name!),

The Caribbean in September? Egad, that is Hurricane Season! However, the water temp will be in the very high 70's or the low 80's. Most divers will be using lycra skins, dive fleece or 3mm to 5mm neoprene (or its congeners) wet suits. Barbara and I usually use fleeces in the Caribbean in the summer and late Fall. But a 3mm should be comfortable. A 5mm, also. A difference will be your comfort level out of the water and the ease of getting in and out of the suit. Fleeces will be more comfortable out of the water and easier to don and doff. 3mm less so. 5mm more less so (now that is some convoluted grammar,no?).

Wet suits are usually more expensive in resort areas, but you might be better off to try rent one for a day just to see how you like it.

Joewr

Remember proper fit is key to staying warm in a wetsuit. You don't want water pumping in and out. Also, I do not like flatlock stitched seams, which many 3 mm suits have, (even expensive ones) they leak like a sieve. Glued and blind stitched seams will keep you a bit warmer.

I would try the LDS first, you will need help with the fit. Although my experience with shops has been mixed. When I bought my O'Neil 3mm (last time I buy an O'Neil neoprene didn't last and flatlock stitching) The sales person recommended the large size. When I thought it was too loose (he said it was ok) I tried the medium which had a decent fit. As I paid for it at the register, he said to me "that's they way I would have fit myself." Why in the world would he not fit a customer in a suit the same way he would fit himself?

Mail order is possible too. Performance wetsuits are cheap and have glued and blind stitched seams. You can return them if you don't like the fit. If I'm not sure on size I'll order two sizes and return one, or sometimes two if neither works out.

Ralph

Anybody else have one of these days???

I went last night to my 5th class and of course did not bring a hood or gloves (per the 1st post on this thread). The instructor very nicely informed me that he's supposed to train me to the local conditions and therefore I WILL need the hood/gloves, and he lent me his (yes he's a nice guy).
Last night was the night we did our test swim & float. By the end of it I was Exhausted with a capital E. Then I put the hood on. Yuck. Then I tried to put my mask over that. That's when Claustrophobia hit me and I started bawling uncontrollably. The instructor's partner told me not to worry about the hood and let me calm down, he said I should only try to do the exercises with the gloves. After I calmed down I went to the bottom of the pool to join the class... and started thinking of what it would be like to take my mask off and putting it on with gloves that barely fit... I started bawling again so I went back to the surface. The instructor's partner said, ok, no gloves either (I guess they now believed me when I said I didn't plan to Ever dive in the northeast!)
I went down one more time but at this point I was having a heck of a time clearing my mask with a stuffy nose and coughing into my regulator, then my mask would just NOT clear so I lost it one more time and quit class for the day. The instructor says its ok, he'll schedule me for a makeup class.
The kicker was that when I took my shower and brought my mask to wash it, I realized it was MISSING a lens!! Perhaps it was loose and that's why I was having trouble clearing the mask. My one consoling factor last night was that my husband kept telling me how proud he is that I'm trying so hard.
Certainly not one of my better nights... does it ever get this bad with diving? Should I reconsider diving if I'm having trouble with a) swimming and b)hyperventilating? It was NOT fun crying underwater.

Casana,

You just had the scuba equivalent of a bad hair day. So, let's take it one step at a time.

(1) Your instructor sounds pretty conscientious to me--try it the "required" way and work from that. I am not an scuba instructor, but I might have gotten you used to the "easy" way and worked up. But he is there now and I am the last one to criticize a conscientious teacher.

(2) It is damn difficult (that is hyperbole for impossible) to clear a mask with a missing lens--or a leaking one. So, let's just assume that was 90% of the problem.

(3) You ought to gold plate that husband of yours: he is a keeper! Support, Casana, we all need support in times of difficulty and he was there for you. Wonderful!

(4) So, have a heart-to-heart with your instructor and bring him up to date on your mask(And get it fixed or get a new one, of course.). Then, I think, you ought to restart where your last success was--but that is your instructor's call--and work forward.

Oh, yeah, let's talk a little later about wet suits...a little at a time...we are not ready to get on the Calypso and replace JY Cousteau, yet! And fortunately, we do not have to!

Joewr (lending a sympathetic ear...unhooded)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom