Wetsuit Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

talytha

Reaction score
I've dived before in Cozumel and Roatan in August and didn't use any sort of wetsuit. I'm going on a cruise in two weeks and am planning on diving in Cozumel and Belize. I've been told that the water will be cooler and I will need a wetsuit. What kind do I need? A shortie or a full length one? What thickness?

a 3mil or 2 mil should do you fine...and I would suggest a full suit as it protects from stings and abrasions.

I am going to the same places Jan. 30th. I spoke with a local dive shop in Belize and they suggested a Long wetsuit 3/2....The h20 temp is not bad at all..

I too like full suits as opposed to shorties, since they give you more protection. I'm not sure what the water temps will be like where you're going, but I do well with a 3mm fullsuit anywhere from 65-70F and up. I'd probably check out a 3/2, which gives you a little more flexibility in the arms and legs. Would be a pretty versatile suit.

Have to agree with Johnnythan on the 2/3.
I've a Neo Sport 2/3 full suit and love it.
I wear it in water temps from about 68F on up.
People forget that temps can drop significantly at depth even in tropical waters.
You can always flush a little cold water in to cool off, but once you get cold, you're cold . . . .

agree with the kraken, especially if you do any night dives where the surface temp has cooled off, on a dusk dive in maui with 80F temp water i was chilly at 100ft...

mossym:
agree with the kraken, especially if you do any night dives where the surface temp has cooled off, on a dusk dive in maui with 80F temp water i was chilly at 100ft...

i don't know how some of you guys do it. i bought an o'neil 3mm full suit. although i know it has compressed, it no longer keeps me warm on 70 ft dives in 81-83 dF waters for 60 min. dives. i am 6ft and 200 pounds - not that skinny. i do workout on a regular basis and my body fat is about 22-24% according to the last check. i think to be useful to people wondering about what thickness suit to get you need to provide more information on your body, metabolism and dive type.

I dive 3 times a day starting out on my vacations and taper to 2 times a day at the end. this is usually for 7-10 days or so with surface temps in 80-90 degree range. the next suit i purchase will be a 5mm full suit since maybe i acclimate to the local warm weather too well. Also the 5mm will soon be compressed after a couple of vacation trips anyway.

jason

:jump013: My dive buddy just got back from Belize and immediately started looking for a 3mm full suit. He had a shorty down there and was uncomfortably cold by the end of the 2nd dive and during the entire 3rd dive each day.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JBB, put a hood on top of that suit.
I'm baldheaded and really can't bear to dive without something on my old pumpkin head. A hood makes one helluva difference !!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom