wetsuit pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim,

I looked through their site more than a year ago and they didn't mention how the stiching was done but now they are announcing it and it seems they have improved somethings. A new design and pockets which weren't there before. Although I'm not sure about the quality of neoprene they are using cus a dive store here mentioned that the material wasn't very good but that was some time ago so I guess I'll give vie a call or pm him.

SangP

theatis:
Hey Compudude,

The first one i did was a Dive Rite pocket. I'm going to be doing another this week but this time i bought one from Bare. I just saw Tobin's pocket that Kevrumbo posted and they look great but they are a bit out of my price range i think.
Yes, I've been looking at the Dive-Rite thigh pouches for some time. I've just had lousy luck... every time I decide to go ahead and get one, my LDS is sold out! Hasn't been a biggie... I'd like one, but I don't really HAVE to have one. I just kinda liked the idea of a permanently attached pocket instead of attaching yet another thing to my bp/w. Seems more streamlined, too.

While it doesn't have as much info as I'd like yet... http://www.kidspot.org/personal/scuba/#wetsuit has pics and sparse directions for the pockets I designed (3 generations of pocket attempts - the last is the one I like and currently use on my wetsuit and drysuit). Each pocket took about 1hr from scrap material to completely attached to the wetsuit. On wetsuits I have sewn the pockets on. For drysuits I glue. FWIW I put my wetsuit on, place the pocket where I want it, outline in chalk remove the wetsuit and then stitch the top and 2 sides, leaving the bottom unstitched (not really needed) I have used a sewing machine... and broken a sewing machine, so I will be hand stitching the next ones I think.

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
While it doesn't have as much info as I'd like yet... http://www.kidspot.org/personal/scuba/#wetsuit has pics and sparse directions for the pockets I designed (3 generations of pocket attempts - the last is the one I like and currently use on my wetsuit and drysuit). Each pocket took about 1hr from scrap material to completely attached to the wetsuit. On wetsuits I have sewn the pockets on. For drysuits I glue. FWIW I put my wetsuit on, place the pocket where I want it, outline in chalk remove the wetsuit and then stitch the top and 2 sides, leaving the bottom unstitched (not really needed) I have used a sewing machine... and broken a sewing machine, so I will be hand stitching the next ones I think.

Aloha, Tim
I had seen that before... nice job. It's not 100% clear, though, are you actually stitching the pocket to the wetsuit, and putting holes through it? I'd be a little worried about heat loss... that's why they promote glued and blind-stitched seams on wetsuits, after all. Or are you gluing it on, and the only stitching is on the pocket itself? If it's warm enough for a 1.5-3mm wetsuit it may not matter, but it will here in SoCal's 48-52 degree depths...

Just wanted to throw in my 1 cent, maybe someone can learn from what I did.
1- I LOVE the Halcyon pockets, very nice and I like the double internal pocket for stowing wetnotes. But, if I were doing it again, I would not use the H pockets on a wetsuit. The thighs on the suit are so tight and curved that you can't really use the internal netnotes pocket, it is too tight when attached to a wetsuit. I've got a couple sets of the H pockets, and will still use them, but one of the reason they cost more is because of the double internal pocket, which is not worth the extra money if you can't use both pockets. If I were doing a wetsuit again I would use something like this:
http://www.fifthd.com/index.php?mai...id=116&zenid=1a64a55de193253fc3bb0c271d528414
For Drysuits I like the H pockets better though.
2- Glueing and sewing so far has been more durable that glueng alone. The constant stretching of the material means that the edges of the pocket that has been glued starts to pull back (usually at the corners first) with use. The stiching is very small, but if it is for a cold water suit you can always seal the inside of the suit with aquaseal or something else.
3- If you are close, or in the US, and are not sure if you can do it yourself, I highly recommend Gamble Scuba http://www.gamblescuba.com/
The do a great job of gluing and stitching, and they have a machine that will stitch through thick neoprene. I think the last time I had them attach pockets for me it was like 30 bucks (15 for each pocket).

I stitch all the way through - however if heat loss is a concern, only stitch to the outer nylon shell of the wetsuit, pretty easy on a thick suit... bit harder on a 3mil though. The stitching can be 1/4" or 1/8" apart even. Another option is to seal the stitching on the inside with some contact cement. I just prefer the "hold" of stitching over gluing. It doesn't let lose easily, and if wide spaced stitching is used, it's easy to remove.

Aloha, Tim

CompuDude:
I had seen that before... nice job. It's not 100% clear, though, are you actually stitching the pocket to the wetsuit, and putting holes through it? I'd be a little worried about heat loss... that's why they promote glued and blind-stitched seams on wetsuits, after all. Or are you gluing it on, and the only stitching is on the pocket itself? If it's warm enough for a 1.5-3mm wetsuit it may not matter, but it will here in SoCal's 48-52 degree depths...

I think that x-shorts (or make your own: I use an old pair of ripstop nylon surfing baggies) are a much better solution. The problem with pockets, kneepads, etc. is that the material surrounding the add on has to do the stretching that used to be done by all the material under the add on. This is no big deal with something loose fitting like a dry suit or with high quality material like Rubatex GN-231N, but with the usual chem-blown rubber, after a year or so of use, you can hold it up to the light and see clear through the bonded nylon surfaces.

Back
Top Bottom