Wetsuit over the booties?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No Fish:
I would not recommend worrying about miniscule drag issues. Your gear will give you more drag than you would want anyway. And...,as stated eariler, good trim & form goes a long way.

I wonder if it does create a bit of drag? Picture the booty open around your ankle filling with water as you move forward. Water flows into the boot but not around it. If you pull your wetsuit over your boot the water passes around it because there is no space open to catch water as you move forward. Does that make sense? OK, granted, it's not a lot, maybe, but it's some.

It wouldn't create a significant amount of drag to affect your efficiency. However, streamlining all of the small things is just as important as a larger item. After all, it always seems to be the small things that get stuck in the worst way.

I would say wear your wetsuit over your booties. (Booties tucked under wetsuit)

1. If you put the wetsuit leg over the top of the boot water will flow over your leg you'll be better streamlined because the water will move more "smoothly" down your leg. Run water over a cutting board or something flat/smooth in your kitchen sink. Then put your hand in the middle of the cutting board and see what happens to the water.

2. It will also help prevent fresh "cold" water from entering your boot, thus keeping your feet warmer. (comparatively at least) If you set a piece of paper on your table and blow at it, you'll notice that some of the air goes over the paper and some under. Same thing with water. If you wear the boot on the outside of the wetsuit and your kicking along, some of the water will go right over the boot "lip" and some of the water will try to go under the boot "lip" and into your boot.

Danny Valerio:
I would say wear your wetsuit over your booties. (Booties tucked under wetsuit)

1. If you put the wetsuit leg over the top of the boot water will flow over your leg you'll be better streamlined because the water will move more "smoothly" down your leg. Run water over a cutting board or something flat/smooth in your kitchen sink. Then put your hand in the middle of the cutting board and see what happens to the water.

2. It will also help prevent fresh "cold" water from entering your boot, thus keeping your feet warmer. (comparatively at least) If you set a piece of paper on your table and blow at it, you'll notice that some of the air goes over the paper and some under. Same thing with water. If you wear the boot on the outside of the wetsuit and your kicking along, some of the water will go right over the boot "lip" and some of the water will try to go under the boot "lip" and into your boot.

Yup, I agree. That makes sense. It is more streamlined to tuck boot under wetsuit leg .I just can't figure out why they make suits with that stirrup type piece that fits across your arch at the bottom of wetsuit leg?

Wetsuit over the booties. Not for any "streamlining" issue - any advantage is most likely so small it is negligible for me.

Primarily it is to keep sand from shore dives from making its way into the booties and to keep the zipper from migrating south during the dive.

I put mine inside the booties because the opening of my boots are stretched out a little and the wetsuit won't stay over them. If I get a new pair that fits my leg tighter, I will probably put the wetsuit over the booties.

I want to know what ShakaZulu or ScubaKev have to say on this issue.. Im on my best behavior.... (snickersnickersnortsnicker)

My boots do not seal to my ankles; therefore, by having the wetsuit over the boots prevents water from continually flushing out the boots.

chepar:
Wetsuit over the booties. Not for any "streamlining" issue - any advantage is most likely so small it is negligible for me.

Primarily it is to keep sand from shore dives from making its way into the booties and to keep the zipper from migrating south during the dive.

I figure every little bit helps, but you're probably right; the change in drag is likely too small to be noticed.

I certainly agree with the sand comment, I frequently dive in Sand Harbor and am amazed at the amount of sand that ends up in my truck and my garage.

My boots have a velcro tab that goes across the zipper teeth and locks the zipper in the "up" position. I can see where it would help with other boot designs.

Back
Top Bottom