Wetsuit Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joeSteve1006

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,
Today i bought an Akona 3mm full suit. It fits really well, and I was wondering what my options are for enhancing its warmth. I plan on getting a shortie as a core warmer to go over my suit, but need help on a hood. I'm not sure I will have enough room underneath for a vest/hood combo, but I'm not sure, and does a hood work well by its self? I'm just trying to see the options I have with it to extend my temperature range.

For me, a hood in a 3mil kept me as warm as no hood in a 7mil.

A hooded vest is the ticket.

It will add warmth to your head, close off the neck opening and mute zipper seepage

Buying a 3mm wetsuit would seem to indicate you are diving in relative warm water, why would you want a hood???

well they are generally warm waters, but sometimes i just want a longer dive or to go below the thermocline and stay for a while, which can get chilly, not cold sometimes and to extend my temperature range during the fall and spring.

A hood by itself would work fine. How you wear it will depend on your preference. Either under or over your suit. Both my wife and I wear it over feeling that it's more comfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom