Wetsuit numbers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rosewater

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all. I am very new to this, but I plan on getting certified before next summer (Have to save the $$). Is there a chart somewhere explaining what temps wetsuits are good for? My diving is going to be split between the Florida panhandle and Mid-west lakes and quarries. Not sure if I will need 2 wetsuits or just a 3mm with a hooded vest. If anyone has any pointers on wetsuit temp protection please let me know. Thank you.

Rose

If you are diving freshwater in the panhandle, you'll be seeing temps of 68-72 degrees mostly. Out in the gulf, in the summer, it can be warmer than that. In the gulf in the winter, it can be quite a bit colder. I am unfamiliar with the lakes of the midwest, but would guess they would be colder than Florida waters.

I selected a 5mm suit. I've done everything from 56F to 72F in that and have been comfortable, but everyone is different. Having a hood helps tremendously. You lose a lot of heat through your head.

It's been said that heavier people tend to be warmer in the water, which makes sense. I know that I get cold less now that I have put on more weight. But really, it comes down to the individual. Remember, if you get a 5mm suit, and you get hot, you can undo the zipper a bit and let some cool water in. If you get cold in a 3mm, you'll need to end your dive.

Best of luck.. and we're all pulling for you! :)

It is individual. It also seems to depend some on where you live, if you live in Florida the same water will feel colder to you than someone from up north. I imagine you're going to want to do some layering, but I don't know if that will cover all your diving.

It's true you can always leave water into a heavier suit to cool off in warm water. But I wouldn't carry that too far, there are also drawbacks to wearing something heavier than you need. You'll need more weight which makes it more work to control your bouyancy. And if it's warm/sunny out you will be more uncomfortable until you get into the water. As I see it wearing a heavy suit in warm water, you lose a bit of the niceness of diving warm water.

Midwest lakes and quarries are always going to be low 40's at depth all year due to the thermocline. The temps at the surface will range from low 80s during Aug to upper 30s/low 40s during the winter. Mid-water temps (above the thermocline) will range from low 40s to mid 70s depending upon time of year.

For wetsuit diving, midwest lakes and quarries definitely require a 7mm suit with 7mm vest and hood unless you're diving shallow (<40 feet) and late in the season, then a 3mm or 5mm should be fine.

Divin'Hoosier:
Midwest lakes and quarries are always going to be low 40's at depth all year due to the thermocline. The temps at the surface will range from low 80s during Aug to upper 30s/low 40s during the winter. Mid-water temps (above the thermocline) will range from low 40s to mid 70s depending upon time of year.

For wetsuit diving, midwest lakes and quarries definitely require a 7mm suit with 7mm vest and hood unless you're diving shallow (<40 feet) and late in the season, then a 3mm or 5mm should be fine.

One of the quarries I'm looking at had a temp of 47 last weekend at the depths I'd be swimming at (at least at first).

In Florida I'd be diving mostly in the summer and in the gulf. I think I'm going to have to get 2 suits. I've been looking at the 3.5mm liquidfit suit. I think that will work in Florida, but for local diving looks like I'll have to go with the 7mm.

Thanks for the help!

If you are going to go with two suits.. custom made, especially one being a 7mm, I'd HIGHLY suggest you go the drysuit route. You'll be happier in the long run. If I was in your position, I would not even THINK about a wetsuit.

PerroneFord:
If you are going to go with two suits.. custom made, especially one being a 7mm, I'd HIGHLY suggest you go the drysuit route. You'll be happier in the long run. If I was in your position, I would not even THINK about a wetsuit.

Most of the local divers here in the midwest do typically move up to a DS eventually. They usually start in a 7mm due to cost (that's where I'm at), but they do in fact eventually move up to a drysuit.

I think I'd recommend talking with divers in your area. I use a 3mm on Cape Cod in the summer whereas when my brother visits from Florida he dives dry(wimp!)

I know nothing about drysuits, beyond the fact that they keep water out.

I think I'll start with a 5mm and a hooded vest for now. Just layer up except in Florida. I'm not even certified yet, so staying around 40 feet will be good for quite a while after the certification. Since I'm larger I want to go ahead and get my suit before certification.

I dove in Florida once. I didn't need a wetsuit then, but didn't get further down then 35 feet.

Just a quick thing on the drysuit. Speaking of a shell suit here.

The shell is essentially that. It keeps the water out. It has seals to do this. It also has a means to add air into the suit, and to vent it. Underneath the drysuit, you wear insulated underwear, or a sweat suit, or whatever you would wear for air temps the same as the surrounding water temps.

But here is where the big benefits come in:

1. With the drysuit, you can dive in warmer waters like here in N.FL. or chilly waters, and you just change your undergarment. And you stay dry.

2. When you get OUT of the water, especially in cold weather, you are essentially dry. Not wet and freezing.

3. The drysuit can also serve as backup buoyancy in case you ever have a problem with your BCD. Wetsuits cannot perform this function.

4. Thick wetsuits crush as you go deeper, thus losing their warming ability. This is why you wear 7mm suits. So when they crush down to 3mm at 60-80ft you still have some warmth. With a drysuit, this doesn't happen. The suit maintains it warmth at all depths.

5. The big drawback to getting a drysuit is cost. A good 7mm wetsuit will cost you about $500 or so off the rack. Probably a bit more for a custom one. A second custom drysuit in 3mm will cost you maybe $300. A good, basic drysuit can be had for only a couple hundred more dollars. You've got a year to save up for it.

As a comment, I wouldn't worry about getting the wetsuit or drysuit right now. Wait until you are nearer to your certification. Perhaps you'll lose a significant amount of weight. Rendering a wetsuit that you might buy, essentially useless. And since it's custom sized, you'll have to eat the full cost.

One other thing. It's highly unlikely you'll stay around 40ft after certification. A great proportion of the interest in diving is looking at what is on the bottom. There are VERY few sites, even simple ones, that have a 40ft bottom. I'd say it's more realistic to think you'll be doing 50-75ft not that long after certification.

Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom