Wetsuit modifications?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whitelightnin

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I need some help locating someone who does wetsuit modifications. I have a customer who wants to have a 6-8 inch zipper installed in each cuff so he can get his arms into his suit easier It is a 7 mil suit. Can anyone give me contact info on someone who can do this?

Thanks
James

Have you already ruled out the manufacturer ? Most do custom work, and zippers at the arm and leg cuff are relatively common. A regular tailor might attempt the job, but a manufacturer is your best choice. They'll not only do a top-notch job with proper zippers and pull tabs, but will probably sew in a protective flap or tri-fold insert so that the zipper isn't against the skin. Not sure if one will work on another's suit, but if the original manufacturer doesn't do this type of work, it's worth asking another who does. If the answer is no, ask for their recommendation of whom to turn to. Good luck.

Then check out Aquaflite. I had a custom suit from them at one point - Ed added wrist zippers after the fact for me. He told me that I would want them at the beginning. Did I listen?!

There are several listed on SB. Do a search.

I would think the price they would charge would almost par for a new suit with wrist zippers. I wonder if a local seemstrees with experience could do it but I'm sure glue may be invloved or you can add the glue after the sewing.

ScubaSarus:
I would think the price they would charge would almost par for a new suit with wrist zippers. I wonder if a local seemstrees with experience could do it but I'm sure glue may be invloved or you can add the glue after the sewing.

From those I've spken to most seamstresses will not have a heavy enough machine. Check with either a cobler or a dive shop. The stitching may be basic but servicable. It will probably end up bing a through stitch whick will weep, aquaseal may help control this for small modifications. Some dive shops (mine included) also have industrial sewing machines for harness work.

In either case you may end up being the one to cut, fit and glue. The neoprene seams are butt glued prior to stitching.

Pete

James, I would be more than happy to help you out. The cost for wrist zippers would be $28 plus shipping. Your customer might want to also consider extended leg zippers. Cost for all would be $55 plus shipping.

Carolyn
800-785-8362

I know this might be a little off topic but I have a gouge in my wetsuit. its about the size of a quarter and it goes through to the fabric on the inside but doesnt penetrate. Any ideas on how to patch it?

Thanks
-Matt

If the plug of fabric is still there just grt some wetsuit neoprene glue and stick it back down. Works great.

I put zippers in my ankle areas on both legs. I used a local tailoring shop. I bought YKK heavy duty zippers (not marine grade). They rusted a little but worked for the life of the suit. The next wet suit I bought I wanted zippers again, but was talked out of them by LDS as the new suit had gussetted ankles. I hate gussetted ankles now and will buy only a suit with ankle zippers in the future.

Back
Top Bottom